Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Alpaca Wool Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/alpaca-wool-batting-t128055.html)

DJRustic 06-04-2011 03:14 PM

I am so excited. First, 2 of our alpacas had babies. So cute. Second, I have found someone to come & help me shear my alpacas. You see my hubbie fell off the ladder & broke his collar bone, no help from him. Ouch!!!!!
Anyway these people have alpacas & they are so much help. She has a gal that will process the wool & make it into batting for my quilts. Yipppeee. She will also make me some yarn, I plan on making some rugs & doing some locker hooking too. Oh, I am so excited.
Will post pictures of my group & let you all know how the shearing goes.
Donna, The Rustic Quilter

erstan947 06-04-2011 03:25 PM

How fun. You are back to basics for sure. Love to see your photos:)

Maia B 06-04-2011 03:26 PM

Very cool, congrats! Hope your hubby heals soon.

NancyG 06-04-2011 03:36 PM

I went to a crafts fair last weekend and there was a lady who was spinning her own alpaca yarn and then makes purses, hats, gloves, etc. I fell in love with 2 of her purses and purchased them as gifts. Alpaca is so incredibly soft. I can't wait to see your pictures of the shearing.

feline fanatic 06-04-2011 03:41 PM

OMG how delicious would Alpaca wool batting be? It is such a high quality wool it almost seems a shame to make batting out of it (ALMOST)! You will have to keep us posted on this, like how much wool does it take to make the batting and all the details. I have a friend whose sister has llamas and depending on your feedback, I may just approach her about using some of her llama wool and finding someone to card it into batting. Additionally there are several alpaca farms in our area.

ann31039 06-04-2011 04:13 PM

thats such a good idea. they look so soft. i'm afraid to touch them cause i have a horrible wool allergy. even to clothes with only 2% wool. i'm even allergic to that really nice one they get from rabbits? can't remember the name. i just break out into huge hives. can't touch sheep either.

plainjane 06-04-2011 04:49 PM

I've used Alpaca yarn to knit with and the sweaters were SO soft. I can see how you are excited!

BETTY62 06-04-2011 09:26 PM

I love Alpaca's. They are so cute. I have never seen a baby one. Please post a picture.

craftybear 06-04-2011 09:30 PM

Love to see photos of the batting when they make it

Originally Posted by DJRustic
I am so excited. First, 2 of our alpacas had babies. So cute. Second, I have found someone to come & help me shear my alpacas. You see my hubbie fell off the ladder & broke his collar bone, no help from him. Ouch!!!!!
Anyway these people have alpacas & they are so much help. She has a gal that will process the wool & make it into batting for my quilts. Yipppeee. She will also make me some yarn, I plan on making some rugs & doing some locker hooking too. Oh, I am so excited.
Will post pictures of my group & let you all know how the shearing goes.
Donna, The Rustic Quilter