Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Alternative quilting products (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/alternative-quilting-products-t60119.html)

scowlkat 08-18-2010 06:40 PM

I read about purchasing the rotary blades are Harbor Freight and using teflon baking sheets as "sliders" for FMQ. So I am thinking, if you have come up with an innovative alternative/solution to some quilting gadget, would you share it here?

For myself, I had seen the "extra" support legs to put under your cabinet leaf when you extend it. So I measured the distance from the floor to the bottom of my cabinet extension and had a piece of 3" pvc pipe cut at Lowes that was just a little shorter. Then I purchased a cap end to fit on it, put the two together and voila, I had a support leg. I used some shelf liner on the top to protect my cabinet from any scratching. When I shared this with my guild, they loved the idea but took it one step further and put the caps on both ends so they had a finished support. In all, it cost me about $7 - much cheaper than the magazine ads.

debbieumphress 08-18-2010 06:49 PM

Good idea. Have to run it by DH. He is so good at doing things for me too. I did post my Sewing machine lifter and sold several. It tilts your machine towards you so you can see without having to look over the top. I hope others post ideas too.

Maggiemay 08-18-2010 07:01 PM

I bought a little stackable crate thing in the back to school aisle. It has holes all over it & I turned it upside down (holes top, opening down) & put all of my scissors in the holes. I didn't realize I had so many scissors until I saw them all together!

PMY in QCA-IL 08-18-2010 07:07 PM

I bought 2 doorstops (the thinner, cheap kind) from a dollar type store. I use them to tilt my machine to a different angle when I sew. I tilt it forward (doorstops at the back) for a better view of the sewing surface. Works great!!

tooMuchFabric 08-18-2010 08:04 PM

For smaller wallhangings and minis, I have a 20" square of cardboard that I sprayed with adhesive, then put a 20" piece of white cotton batting onto.
This is a portable, lap sized sort of design board, that not only lets me arrange pieces and pin bits down onto it, but also acts like a pincushion, and holds everything like small scissors and pins and scraps from sliding around while I'm working.
I can use it while watching tv or visiting with friends.
If I need to put it aside to get up and tend to something, I set it on a side table or other surface and it's all still right there when I come back to it.

baskets4moo 08-18-2010 09:17 PM

I have always used a surgical scalpel for a seam ripper. A friend's mother "appropriated" some for me and I was hooked. I became so used to treating myself to a fresh one whenever I felt like it that when the supply ran dry I searched on the internet and lo and behold there they were on eBay. I bought a dozen pack of disposables a few years ago but I might splurge on a handle and replaceable blades next time. Just look for craft or hobby or non-sterilized scalpels. They're there, I just hope I haven't dried up my supply by letting out my secret :oops:

raptureready 08-19-2010 05:53 AM

On a garage sale I bought an old metal LP worm. Remember those things we used to put our record albums in? Anyway it's marvelous as a ruler holder. I bought a similar but smaller letter holder one for my small rulers.

When the set screw on the small belt/motor wheel broke out of my vintage Singer I cut a very small (about 3/8") piece off a bamboo skewer, stuck it in and have been sewing with it in there ever since with no problems.

I use a 20" sq of styrofoam and made a little fitted sheet for it out of flannel for a block layout board. I set it on an easel right by my machine. I only use it if the blocks are large and tricky---like the ones in my avy.

Best yet: I have lots of machines so if one goes on the blink I just pull out another one. NEVER be without a back up machine.

Terryl 08-19-2010 06:14 AM

I use the orange wood sticks (manicure sticks) as a stilletto. They work great. I buy them at Sally beauty supply in bulk.

laureneberhard 08-19-2010 06:49 AM

I have a wooden tray table that I have put 2 layers of cotton batt on and then made a cover for that I use as an ironing board next to my sewing table. When the top gets uckie I just put another cover on and i'm good to go.

icon17 08-19-2010 06:55 AM

I was at good will, they sell new sheet cutting boards pacs $1.39 (2 in a pac) great template plastic :!: