Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   An alternative to tying the fringe on those fleece blankets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/alternative-tying-fringe-those-fleece-blankets-t82193.html)

lalaland 12-11-2010 05:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
As I'm working on fringing 5 blankets, I'm thinking I should pass along this technique that I think is easier than tying every fringe strip.

Sorry the pictures are a little fuzzy, I think the fleece print knocked the focus out of whack, but I think you can see well enough to figure out what's happening.

Make a slit in the top of the fringe with your seam ripper
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141832[/ATTACH]

Now you have a small hole
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141833[/ATTACH]

bring the fringe up from the bottom and push into the hole
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141834[/ATTACH]

Pull it down all the way and Viola!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141838[/ATTACH]

grab it from the back and pull it through
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141840[/ATTACH]

KarenR 12-11-2010 05:42 PM

Neet idea! Thanks

craftyone27 12-11-2010 05:45 PM

Just curious what size you are making the balnkets? Love the idea - looks like it would speed up the finishing process!

pab 12-11-2010 05:45 PM

A great idea and very tidy too.Thanks

lalaland 12-11-2010 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
Just curious what size you are making the balnkets? Love the idea - looks like it would speed up the finishing process!

Depends on the person I've giving it to. If it's a child, I buy a yard of fleece. If it's a teen or adult, I buy 1-1/2 yds. I rarely buy off the bolt, I raid the remnant rack most of the time. The size may be off a little bit but a few inches here or there isn't really going to make much of a difference.

My fringe is shorter or longer depending on the size piece I was able to get.

carolaug 12-11-2010 05:59 PM

That looks a lot better than tying...

sewgull 12-11-2010 06:00 PM

I like this idea. I make scarves using fleece, will be trying your method on the next ones.

Merry Christmas

lalaland 12-11-2010 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sewgull
I like this idea. I make scarves using fleece, will be trying your method on the next ones.

Merry Christmas

When I make scarves, I don't tie the fringe. I cut the fringe with a decorative rotary blade, either the wave or scallop blade, and then I run a row of decorative stitches above the fringe to give it some flare and separate it from the body of the scarf.

The fleece had the embroidered roses and pink ribbons on it already
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141845[/ATTACH]

Pickles 12-11-2010 06:18 PM

Supper Ideal.Thanks for this great Tip :D :thumbup:

nativetexan 12-11-2010 06:23 PM

hmm,i've seen that done somewhere before but forgot about it. i've done my last fleece "blanket" but thanks. i use a 'slip' knot that looks somewhat like what you showed. like it much better than tying a regular knot that can come undone in the wash.