Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Alto's Quilt Cut 2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/altos-quilt-cut-2-a-t65933.html)

Quiltforme 09-21-2010 11:36 AM

I saw this at the fair I am glad you love yours I am going to get it from the warehouse since the lady at the fair was not too truthful. Send pics of your cuttings!!

IBQLTN 09-21-2010 11:41 AM

Thank you for the lefty info. I've grown weary of using things 'upside down' for left handers. While many manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon with numbering for both, many of the 'specialty' templates are still not lefty friendly.

DebsShelties 09-21-2010 12:53 PM

You are very welcome. I am also keeping the box it came in - stash it behind a sofa in my sewing room so if I need to put the Alto away to drop the table so I can pin a top to batting etc. I can.
The sofa is a sofabed queen size, I use foam board from Joann's as a hard area to place the backing etc on to pin.
Then when done, fold bed back into sofa, and bring out my cutting table etc. again.

featherweight 09-21-2010 01:22 PM

I love my Alto's quilt cut. When you purchase this you don't have to purchase any new dies etc. as you do with the Go.

katied772 09-21-2010 01:46 PM

How many thicknesses can you cut through?

Prism99 09-21-2010 01:49 PM

I thought of one advantage of the Go! I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. That is, it is completely safe to use -- no danger of slipping and cutting your hand, or of dropping a rotary cutter. Have seen an occasional horror story posting of that happening to people. For this reason a Go! would be safer to use with children and for anyone who might be a little clumsy from a medical condition.

jrhboxers 09-21-2010 02:28 PM

Left-handed usage - It is very easy to change from right to left, you just place the ruler on the other side in its trench. Works the same way. My sister is a lefty and she uses it too.

The safety is not a huge issue because when you are holding the ruler with one hand and cutting with the other, your holding hand is actually about 1/2" ABOVE the cutting surface. Much safer than trying to hold the ruler and cut. Of course, if you are like me, you can still find a way to get cut -- been there, done that, had the stitches to prove it.

DebsShelties 09-21-2010 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by katied772

They say 10, but also that some do more than 10.

katied772 09-21-2010 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties

Originally Posted by katied772

They say 10, but also that some do more than 10.

Does it do thicker fabrics such as corduroy and home dec fabrics?

BellaBoo 09-21-2010 03:38 PM

I don't understand why it's still the notion that the die cut machines have so much waste. Not true. I have strings of fabric left, not much to do anything with. I have the Go and the Alto Cut2. I would give up the Alto in a second if I had to choose. I seldom get the same accurate cut twice using the Alto, it's always a smidgen off. It's me I know but that's what I don't like, not being able to cut perfectly every time. If the guide is not in the precise place as it was on the cut before it, the cut is off.