Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Altos QuiltCut2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/altos-quiltcut2-t60690.html)

joey 08-21-2010 06:51 PM

I have been investigating the Altos QuiltCut2 for several months. I finally decided to call the company yesterday (Friday). I didn't think anyone would be there, put took a chance. An employee who works in the factory answered the phone. We talked for about 45 minutes. He was very informative and offered to send me a video (free) to view before I make up my mind. The price seems right for this system. (The other system out there is very expensive and I don't have that kind of money to spend all at once). I don't remember in the months that I have been on the board if anyone has discussed this system. I would like to hear from you and if anyone has it and do they like it and would it be worth while for me to purchase......thanks in advance for your views.... ;)

SueDor 08-21-2010 07:22 PM

I will be interested what responses you get. I have also been interested in the QuiltCut2 but I haven't done anything about it yet,maybe for Xmas.

ScubaK 08-21-2010 07:28 PM

I have the original quilt cut system and I love it...I have had it for several years and was worth the 140$ I spent about ten years ago...
Kirsten

BKrenning 08-22-2010 12:08 PM

I don't think there is any comparison between the 2. They serve different purposes. The Alto Quilt Cut is a cutting mat with a clamping bar to hold the fabric and a built in straight edge that you can angle up to 10? different angles. You still have to use a rotary cutter so if using a rotary cutter is difficult for some reason, it's not going to be helpful for you. Another thing to remember is the
Alto Quilt Cut is heavy so if you have to move it off and on your cutting surface, it can be a pain.

The AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter systems are like the die cutting systems used by paper crafters/scrapbookers. You have to purchase a die to use for every shape you want to make then you clamp the fabric into the machine and turn the handle while it presses out the shape you selected. Like the charms from Connecting Threads only it has normal shapes like squares, rectangles & triangles in various sizes. If you are having trouble cutting those type of common shapes with a rotary cutter, this product would be very helpful. Some folks even try with varying degrees of success to use their paper crafting die cutters for fabric. The AccuQuilt is made to cut fabric.

All that being said, I have the Alto Quilt Cut and am very happy with it. I still use my regular mat & rulers a lot more often but use it for cutting scraps into strips, or squares for scrappy type projects. It makes cutting bunches of the same size blocks easier but so will the AccuQuilt if you have the particular size die you're wanting to cut.

Navy Wife 08-22-2010 03:17 PM

I love mine. I have arthritic hands, and my strength is not so great. With the Altos, I can be sure one end of my fabric is secure, and I only have to hold on to the other end. My cutting is much easier and more accurate. I looked at the accuquilt, but couldn't see paying $300 for the machine and then $35 to $70 for each die shape I wanted to cut. You could easily spend $500 and still have to use a rotary cutter for your cutting.