Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Alvin cutting matts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/alvin-cutting-matts-t202927.html)

schoolteacher 10-11-2012 04:59 AM

Alvin cutting matts

I recently found a site that had Alvin GBM cutting matts. Regularly they are $56.00 but on sale for $20.99. I was wondering if anyone has used them and if they are any better than others that are advertised.
Also wondering if a self-healing matt is better than the "non" self healing. I need to find a good one as my other one has resulted in big holes which resulted in cut marks on my brand new counter top. SIGH!!!!! Now to find a way to hide the cut marks. :(

Jingle 10-11-2012 05:14 AM

I haven't heard of this brand. Alvin was one of my late brother's name.
I only buy self healing mats.

QuiltnNan 10-11-2012 06:02 AM

i wouldn't have anything but self-healing

Deborahlees 10-11-2012 06:44 AM

I love my Olfa !

Prism99 10-11-2012 08:53 AM

What brand was it that allowed you to cut into your countertop?

Had never heard of Alvin cutting mats, so looked them up on Amazon. (Amazon is a great place for getting user reviews of different products.) They get good reviews. Olfa seems to be the most popular mat among quilters; not sure how Alvin would compare to Olfa. It seems comparable.

Be sure to do a lot of price-checking before ordering. Sometimes Amazon and other places regularly offer a product for less than websites that advertise the same thing at 50% off. Also be sure to check size of the mat as it relates to price.

mike'sgirl 10-11-2012 08:55 AM

I have an Alvin. I really like it. It's a lot thicker than any other name brand that I have used and it's double-sided, which my OmniGrid is not. For the price you cannot beat it. I got my 18x24 for under 20.00. They are good mats. Also, stick with the self healing.

mike'sgirl 10-11-2012 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5578069)
What brand was it that allowed you to cut into your countertop?

Had never heard of Alvin cutting mats, so looked them up on Amazon. (Amazon is a great place for getting user reviews of different products.) They get good reviews. Olfa seems to be the most popular mat among quilters; not sure how Alvin would compare to Olfa. It seems comparable.

Be sure to do a lot of price-checking before ordering. Sometimes Amazon and other places regularly offer a product for less than websites that advertise the same thing at 50% off. Also be sure to check size of the mat as it relates to price.

Good advice. I did this and what I found at the time was that the Alvin website had the best price for the mat I wanted.

EasyPeezy 10-11-2012 09:43 AM

I have the Alvin cutting mat and I'm very happy with it.
Would buy another Alvin anytime. :thumbup:

Kitsie 10-11-2012 09:47 AM

I just googled and found it for $14.20 (18 x 24) at Dew Drafting supplies!

schoolteacher 10-12-2012 02:56 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Glad to see some of you are happy with this brand.