Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Alzheimer touch quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/alzheimer-touch-quilt-t266388.html)

piker6ca 06-14-2015 07:22 AM

Alzheimer touch quilt

Good day every one
I was wondering if and one knows what you put in a touch quilt to make the crinkley sound.
Be nice to have a little sound in the quilt.
Thanks
Tom

susie-susie-susie 06-14-2015 07:59 AM

I've never done it, but I heard that you should use the cellophane wrap from products like gum, etc. Not the plastic wrap that some packages come in.
Sue

KenmoreGal2 06-14-2015 08:16 AM

I've heard about using plastic bags that some cereals come in, the bag that is inside the box. It's sturdy stuff.

Here's another question about these quilts. I've seen some where the people put a clear plastic pouch for a photo. I have some clear heavy duty plastic I could use for this but how exactly do you sew clear heavy duty plastic??? Has anyone ever done that?

piker6ca 06-14-2015 08:33 AM

Picture is a neat idea.
The thing i watch is what happens when it is washed . And they do get washed a lot.
Wonder about using the invisable thread it is plastic also and put a touch of glue on the back of it .
I did find stuff for it to make the crinkle sound but its like $45.00 a box.
I find they really like silk on it it,s cool to the touch .
Thanks
Tom

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 (Post 7226343)
I've heard about using plastic bags that some cereals come in, the bag that is inside the box. It's sturdy stuff.

Here's another question about these quilts. I've seen some where the people put a clear plastic pouch for a photo. I have some clear heavy duty plastic I could use for this but how exactly do you sew clear heavy duty plastic??? Has anyone ever done that?

Cari-in-Oly 06-14-2015 08:40 AM

I cut up baby wipe refills to put inside flannel taggies to get the sound.

Cari

KenmoreGal2 06-14-2015 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by piker6ca (Post 7226352)
The thing i watch is what happens when it is washed . And they do get washed a lot....(snip).....
I find they really like silk on it it,s cool to the touch .

How does the silk handle washing? Possibly hot water washing in a facility....

luvstoquilt 06-14-2015 09:35 AM

I never made my mom a quilt that crinkled! I made her small quilts that had a lot of stuff added like a zipper, strips of colored tapes that sort of dangled, pockets that snapped, etc. I made them about 12 to 18" and she loved them. She thought she made them or was working on them but then she was a quilter. I took every quilt I made to her and she got to use them. I also did her laundry so I didn't have to worry about those heavy duty and scalding hot machines and dryers. They gave her so much comfort and they kept her busy at work on them. I miss her.

Lee in Richmond 06-14-2015 09:38 AM

That mylar sheet product you put in hot pads makes a sound.

imsewnso 06-14-2015 10:34 AM

Is this to be a wall quilt or a lap robe?

Cybrarian 06-14-2015 11:05 AM

Another good addition is cord with a few different sized wooden or plastic beads that slide back and forth on the cord, and heavy fringe trim that you find in Home Dec (trim fringe short enough that they dont get it knotted around their fingers if you can't find shorter fringe. My Mom was a thumb "twiddler" & hair twister. If she didn't have something in her hands she would clasp her hands and circle her thumbs around each other constantly or twist her hair. These two items helped control that some.