Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am i daft; is this silly or should i...... I need help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-daft%3B-silly-should-i-i-need-help-t23207.html)

sunnyhope 07-24-2009 04:32 PM

I did start on sewing a some kind of railway patternd baby blanket, well i have only done one yet cause i m really slow since i m a beginner.

is that really silly of me since i really need to make a baby blanket quite quick, can you recomend me something else i can do faster but that will look a bit complicated :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

or should i continue?

You see its for a baby and shes already born, shes about a week old now :wink:

Up North 07-24-2009 04:34 PM

One of my first baby quilts was a disappearing 9 patch.very easy went together in a day.

Esqmommy 07-24-2009 05:52 PM

A simple charm pack quilt is easy to go together too. You can get baby fabrics and cut them into 6 inch squares, then instead of heavy quilting, just tie it. Do a double batting to it will be thicker and more cuddly, that way it can be used as something to lay the baby on! If it's a boy, and the fabric choices seem to girly, you can choose plaids & stripes...

nellie 07-24-2009 08:13 PM

you can get some cute baby panels cut them apart and add some simple blocks to them it,s the fastest way to make a baby quilt ,works for me

STAR 07-24-2009 09:08 PM

if you need it quick you could just get a nice printed fabric or panel and just quilt it to a back using the pictures as your quilt design :lol: My mom has done this when a quick little project is needed but looks like it took a lot of work. you are really just outlining the pictures with different color threads. Hope this helps.
Star

sharon b 07-24-2009 09:12 PM

What about a rag quilt ? I just finished one that took about 10 hours from cutting out the strips to clipping the edges . Let us know what you decide , and trust me your secret is safe with us we won't tell the baby its late :wink:
Sharon

omak 07-24-2009 09:17 PM

You are not being silly.
We all tend to do a lot of work when we are running out of time, no matter how much lead time we are given.

when I think of a simple quilt, the simple square of differing fabrics comes to mind.
The next block would be a four patch. It is pretty amazing what doing a four patch, alternated with a plain square ... it is pretty amazing how complicated it looks ... I would tie the quilt, using either embroidery thread or cotton crochet thread, size ten.
Fact of the matter is: when you do something that no one else can do, they ARE IMPRESSED! and, what a privilege to be able to gift a new baby with a quilt of its very own. That would be very encouraging to the new mom, too.

Ninnie 07-24-2009 09:45 PM

I agree with omak, a simple 4 patch can look complicated to someone who doesn't quilt, And tying a baby quilt is a good idea.

amma 07-24-2009 11:03 PM

I have seen lots of beautiful baby quilts made out of the pattern omak suggested :wink:

dimplesinjuly 07-25-2009 11:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I really, really cheated on this one. My DD best friend had to have an emer. c-section, they thought they baby had heart problems. She asked if I could make the baby a quilt and we were going down the next weekend. Yikes... sooooo, I went to my local Joann's and they had this fabric. The whole thing was already put together with the cute appliqued butterfiles. All I did was add batting and a cute backing, machined quilted and did a pkg. satin binding. Mom and the nurses in the nicu loved it and I was able to make it in a day. Baby is doing great, only had to be in the hosipital for a month, guess she just wanted to get here early.

Quilt for Bailey
[ATTACH=CONFIG]40267[/ATTACH]