Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I ever going to learn it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-ever-going-learn-t269962.html)

madamekelly 09-15-2015 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie (Post 7317778)
I think all of us (especially when you are on a limited budget) try to get every inch of cutting we can out of a blade. They are very expensive and I hate to spend the money. You are in good company.

Blades are not very expensive if you buy them online, or through Harbor Freight. Makes it easier to change them when they get dull if you don't have to apply for credit to pay for them. -IMHO

bearisgray 09-15-2015 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 (Post 7318004)
I think the fact that my mom never ever got her knives (or scissors) sharpened when I was growing up & I was constantly cutting myself helped me learn that:
Dull is Dangerous.
Sharp is Safer.

How about also - - -

Dull is Dumb and Dangerous
Sharp is Safer and Smarter

(when it comes to cutting tools)

IBQUILTIN 09-15-2015 10:25 AM

I seem to change my blades when I can only cut through two layers of fabric and only have to snip the skipped places 4 or 5 times in a WOF cut. Duh, why do I do that to myself?

Noiseynana 09-15-2015 02:57 PM

A while back someone on this board said she had bought blades at Harbor Freight. I haven't found them . Anyone else remember this?

grann of 6 09-15-2015 03:40 PM

I've had Harbor Freight blades. I don't buy them any more because their quality is too inconsistent, and they don't stay sharp as long as the name brand blades. The old adage "You get what you pay for" applies here.

ClairVoyantQuilter 09-15-2015 06:18 PM

I used to change my blade every time I started a new quilt . . .but since getting my die cutter, don't use my rotary cutters nearly as often, so will have to work out a system.

As for needles . . .i buy them by the 100 for my sewing machines, sergers and quilting machine. For my larger Bernina which uses M class bobbins, I switch out needles with each new bobbin. For my smaller class machine, every other bobbin. On my quilting machine, before starting every quilt.

oldtisme 09-15-2015 09:44 PM

I guess I'm just too cheap, I use things until they absolutely don't do their jobs correctly anymore. My daughter teases me that I'll use my broom until there is only a few bristles left on it lol. Which I guess is true enough even though I can afford to buy replacements for anything.

BETTY62 09-16-2015 12:42 AM

I have the same problem. One would almost thing this task was a real chore to do. LOL

earthwalker 09-16-2015 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 (Post 7317809)
This is a story that refreshes itself constantly as I am sure almost every one of us does the same stupid thing and waits and waits until we have to use more arm pressure than most wrestlers have. Haven't decided if it is thriftiness, laziness or stubbornness.

All three I reckon....and I'm guilty of all of them.

thread mess 09-16-2015 05:04 AM

i use a sharpie and mark the m/y close to the screw. Now that I've said this - its time for me to change my blade....November 2014????? ooops! ;)