Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-t148663.html)

lynn_z 08-28-2011 08:32 PM

I eventually end up with a lot of bobbins half filled with every color in the book so my solution is to start putting blocks together with any bobbin that needs to be emptied. I am currently finishing up some Christmas quilt tops and am emptying bobbins to reload with all one color for the actual quilting. Does that make sense? Odd colors shouldn't show up...every block is different so have lots of colors in the squares. Am I just lazy or cheap? Will the quilt police come & hunt me down?

bearisgray 08-28-2011 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by lynn_z
I eventually end up with a lot of bobbins half filled with every color in the book so my solution is to start putting blocks together with any bobbin that needs to be emptied. I am currently finishing up some Christmas quilt tops and am emptying bobbins to reload with all one color for the actual quilting. Does that make sense? Odd colors shouldn't show up...every block is different so have lots of colors in the squares. Am I just lazy or cheap? Will the quilt police come & hunt me down?

I do the same thing when I'm working with multi-colored fabrics. Stitching doesn't show - so why not?

alikat110 08-28-2011 08:35 PM

I take thread from partiallly emptied bobbins and use when i am hand basting my quilt sandwiches.

Airwick156 08-28-2011 08:38 PM

I have a bunch of bobbins with all different colors on them. I use them all. I do not use the black threaded ones on something that I am working on that is white. But for everything else...use them all.
Recently I filled 6 bobbins with this cream colored thread. They would not work in my machine to save my life. I go to my sewing class and the bobbin is still in the machine and I tried sewing and nope don't want to work so one of the ladies came over and told me that I had Quilting Thread in it and not regular thread and that is why it wouldnt work. LOL But I use whatever color bobbin thread I have at the time.

Jim's Gem 08-28-2011 08:39 PM

I do that. I like to finish of my bobbins and not waste the thread. If I think it will not show up, I will use it up in the piecing!!!!

BETTY62 08-28-2011 08:42 PM

My friend does this and passed the hint along to me. I think it is a great thing.

irishrose 08-28-2011 08:53 PM

I have dozens of bobbins for my apparel sewing machine, but only a few for my quilting machine. Apparel sewing calls for matching thread. Piecing can be done with a just a few colors. A medium light gray is the best blender, but I don't like gray so I use a pale lilac. Even my black Jewel Box is pieced with various dark threads, not black.

luvTooQuilt 08-28-2011 08:56 PM

Yup, I do that too..

4girlsmimi 08-28-2011 08:57 PM

I do the exact same thing all the time. I call it being resourceful! lol!

GGinMcKinney 08-28-2011 08:59 PM

Learn something new everyday here on QB. Thanking you all for excellent idea!!!