Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-t152977.html)

vivoaks 09-15-2011 10:48 AM

I don't have one either. I either do them on my regular sewing machine, or by hand.... I wouldn't want to enter a quilt that I've done on my machine into a quilt show, but they serve the purpose. If I want one done well, I'll do it by hand. Even if it does take forever, I'd rather do it that way.
One alternative is to do a quilt-as-you-go. That's actually what I'm working on right now, and it will be a big queen or king. Doing the quilt-as-you-go method, it won't be difficult at all.

Debo 09-15-2011 10:59 AM

Because of the expense, I bet there are more of us on the board without long arms than there are those who have them. Also, there is the space problem as they are so large. Don't feel bad, you have alot of company!

Suedon 09-15-2011 11:05 AM

I am also looking for a quilter that I can send my finished tops to. I live in FL, but had a great long-arm quilter in KY who recently retired, so I'm looking for someone else. Any suggestions?

Marge L. 09-15-2011 11:30 AM

I have quilted 3 kings and I can't recall how many queens on my domestic machine. No one said it was easy, but it most certainly can be done. My designs ar not at all fancy, like the ones they can do on long arms, but I haven't had any complaints. Don't feel bad, just give it a try. You can do it.

Marge L. 09-15-2011 11:31 AM

I have quilted 3 kings and I can't recall how many queens on my domestic machine. No one said it was easy, but it most certainly can be done. My designs ar not at all fancy, like the ones they can do on long arms, but I haven't had any complaints. Don't feel bad, just give it a try. You can do it. If I can, anyone can. You'll never know if you don't try. Marge L.

quilt gramma 09-15-2011 11:33 AM

No long arm machine in my home . So i send mine out to a lady here in town and she does Beautiful work and I also have a Quilt shop about a hour from me I used and their work is excellent but is more costly .

watson's mom 09-15-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
You're not the only one. I don't have a quilting machine either.

Niether do I.

I don't either. I send mine out to a very reliable LAQ.

desertrose 09-15-2011 11:47 AM

If you took a pole I think you'd discover most of us don't have LA machines either. We can all sulk together as we try to pass those quilts through our small throat spaces and have to stick to simple FM designs becasue of lack of space. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jingle 09-15-2011 11:47 AM

I FMQ on one or the other of my domestic machines, 9" throats. Works for me.

HomespunHandmaiden 09-15-2011 11:51 AM

Personally, I prefer to hand-quilt all of my quilts. My heart literally gets put into each and every quilt with hours of work on it. Hand-quilting is so personal and it makes me feel like I'm truly making a future heirloom. No, I don't have a quilting machine and if I did it would be only for business purposes :) But that's just my preference. :)