Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-t152977.html)

sandrabrueggeman 09-15-2011 03:31 AM

No, I don't have one, I have WalMarts cheapest machine and it has had a work out. I tie off most of my quilts.

jeanneb52 09-15-2011 03:43 AM

I have a mid arm that I am learning to use but have done FMQ on the regular machine for years...try it, you'll like it

quilted dakota 09-15-2011 03:43 AM

I dont have one either, use my regular machine to "stitch in the ditch" or. .if im real flush at the time. .I have mine done on a machine by a pro. mostly, I do my own, lol.

smagruder 09-15-2011 03:46 AM

We have a store here in Louisville, that will give you lessons and then rent the machine for you to quilt your own. Maybe you could find one in your area.

ragqueen03 09-15-2011 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by smagruder
We have a store here in Louisville, that will give you lessons and then rent the machine for you to quilt your own. Maybe you could find one in your area.

I was going to suggest the same thing! There is a woman in the area that has "The Sewing Room" - it is not a quilt shop but a Quilting shop! She has everything. I personally have not gone there but I referred a quilting friend and she loved it. Maybe someone in your area has the same thing. I have always told my husband that if we ever win the lottery I would buy a couple of long arms and rent them for people to finish their own quilts.

GABBYABBY 09-15-2011 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
you do not need a special machine to machine quilt a quilt- you only need practice

many many fabulous- famous - spectacular international award winning quilters quilt on a domestic machine (the same machine they piece with)

there are tons of tutorials, videos and classes available to help you learn to free motion quilt with your domestic machine.

the first quilt i ever quilted was an $89 brother i bought at walmart- took a class at the lqs and did quite well.

it does not take anything special- just the desire and lots of practice.

I soooo totally agree with you!!!

BeebeeA 09-15-2011 04:06 AM

I use my Janome to quilt my quilts. I have it on a Penny Winkle quilt framem that I bought about 10 years ago at a quilt show i went to. You can use any machine on it. I always wanted a long arm machine but they are all way out of my price range. I found one I can finally afford.. The Pennywinkle Sunshine 16. I ordered one and will get it in a few weeks. It is a mid arm machine, only 16" but it will be much better than my regular machine.

stoppain 09-15-2011 04:09 AM

not me and I'm very good at quilting my quilts and I still learning

quilt3311 09-15-2011 04:15 AM

Oh, but if you have around a square yard of space (3 ft x 3 ft) you can get a Handi Quilter sit down quilting machine. I have the sit down HQ and I have a very small space, in fact it has to be in my living room. When I quilt a large quilt, I put a small folding table beside it to support the excess fabric. I love my machine.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-15-2011 04:16 AM

I don't have one. When I need one quilted I send it to the talented people here!! :D