Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-who-doesnt-want-long-arm-what-t146853.html)

luvstitches 08-22-2011 05:13 AM

I bought one about 6 years ago and wish I would have saved that money and had someone else quilt my quilts for me.
(would have been cheaper)

I know several people that have them and love creating and quilting with them as it's a major part of their hobby.

I also wish I can put my machine at someone else house that has more room and take back my spare bedroom.

Maybe it's the machine I bought but haven't progressed much with it.

pjnesler 08-22-2011 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by SharBear

Originally Posted by tsnana2000
I bought a HQ Sweet Sixteen Sitdown and so far I love it. It isn't quite like quilting with a domestic machine, but I don't have to fight to get the quilt through the throat of the machine. I was never really interested in getting one with a frame. I think putting a quilt on the frame would be alot of work,plus I like to sit down to do my quilting. The Sweet Sixteen is around $5000. Everyone is different so a longarm may not be for you.

LOVE the HQ Sweet Sixteen sit down. I took a 60 x 60 quilt up to my mother's to use hers today. She's an hour from my house. It took me all of an hour and a half to FMQ the whole thing. And that included my "orientation lesson" and setup.

I can see that I'll be taking all my quilts to spend the afternoon with Mom!

(oh, and I've already let my brother know that everything in the sewing room belongs to ME when Mom goes to her just reward!)

I am interested in a long arm, and think the Sweet 16 sitdown would be best for size in my small townhouse, I've seen some say it is still difficult on the arms for pushing the quilt around. I'm on the fence here for a bit.

DonnaC 08-22-2011 05:21 AM

My "dream machine" is the HQ Sixteen sit-down model. I tried one at a quilt show and fell in love. Besides which, I have no room for a longarm except if I finished my basement and put it down there, and I know that to justify the cost of one, I'd make myself quilt for others for $$, and it would take the joy out of quilting for me. (Whew, that was one long sentence!)

Many years ago I graduated from a Master Seamstress program, and then went into business doing alterations... absolutely HATED it. It ruined the joy of sewing for me totally, and I didn't sew anything for myself for a long, long time. I find quilting so relaxing and creative and wonderful that I wouldn't want to take that chance again.

MYWR 08-22-2011 05:23 AM

1. I cannot rationalize spending that kind of money
2. where would I put it
3. when would I use it - I barely have time for quilting as it is
4. I quilt for me - and I make some giftas - but I am not about to quilt for someone else
5. I could never be as creative and precise as Charisma and some fo the others - that is just not quo I am
. . . so - you are not alone !

Steady Stiching 08-22-2011 05:26 AM

I want a mid arm!

mapleie 08-22-2011 05:26 AM

I don't think I do either, I like to stitch in the ditch and do it on my old Singer. I think I would have to keep re-rolling the quilt so much with a long arm. The jury is still out though

elm 08-22-2011 05:27 AM

For the cost of a lon arm, I would take a nice long vacation. Even if I decided I wanted one, space for it in my condo would be a big problem.
I like hand quilting and think I will combine some machine quilting which I have done for placemats with hand quilting when I get to that on the strip quilt I am cutting pieces for now.

Originally Posted by deedum
Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What am I missing? I would never spend the money that it takes to buy one and I am perfectly happy quilting on my old machine. Am I the only one?

BarbaraSue 08-22-2011 05:31 AM

I have enough "fun" keeping my sewing machines running and cooperating, hehe, i don't need to spend bookoo bucks on something I can't really do, that also needs more space than I want to give it.
Nope, I'll keep looking for cheaper older ones to adopt and add to the fold!!

quiltmom04 08-22-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What am I missing? I would never spend the money that it takes to buy one and I am perfectly happy quilting on my old machine. Am I the only one?

I really, really wanted one. I've used one quite a lot in the shop where I worked, and it was very cool. But no room and no money to get one. Then I sent the first one out to be long armed by some one else, and when it came back I was so thrilled with the luxury of having a wonderfully quilted quilt and NOT having to do it, my desire for a long arm has cooled substantially! I'm sure if I had access to one I could use for free, I'd do it, but I won't be buying one!

Pieces2 08-22-2011 05:34 AM

I don't want one either. Never have, never will. I'm perfectly happy sending my quilts out to a longarm quilter. She does wonderful custom work. I don't think I'd be very good at longarm quilting. I love choosing fabrics and patterns and piecing the quilt top. I have no desire to own a longarm quilting machine. Plus I don't have space for one and can't see putting the money out for a good quality machine. I don't make enough quilts for it to pay for itself. Personally I believe its cheaper for me to send my quilts out.