Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I on the right track? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-right-track-t106437.html)

deedum 03-09-2011 07:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have a BOM quilt top I now have completed, I am thinking I might put these extra charm squares on for the last border. I think I like it, maybe I should take off the last border and put there, but gee I don't want to rip it off.

the quilt not showing the border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]128825[/ATTACH]

right side or outside of border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]128826[/ATTACH]

MTS 03-09-2011 07:21 PM

Hmmmm, the thing is the star of this quilt should be the BOM blocks, right?

If you start putting all those pieces around the edge, they're going to take away a lot of the attention from the center.

So, no, I wouldn't put the pieced squares on as another border.

And I don't want to send you off the ledge, but you did mention taking off a border.... ;-). Ripping isn't so bad. Really. And you can take this as a totally personal opinion, and please feel free to totally ignore it.

I would take a look at what the quilt would look like without that white border...perhaps a bit of the gold in it's place. I think that might make the center really pop out - which is should. Because it's the star. ;-)

Whatever you do, the blocks are lovely, and were obviously a lot of work. Was it from a pattern, or a LQS BOMC?

deedum 03-09-2011 07:33 PM

Thanks, I see what you mean now. I never thought of that. I want to make it a bit larger to have some hang on the bed. However I don't have too. I may gift this quilt. This was a beginning LQS BOM project, that I paid for the pattern up front. Never again. The directions were wrong on many of the blocks, so it was very frustrating at times since I was a new quilter at the time. I finally decided to finish the project on my own and I changed the lay out. I like it actually for as much as I struggled with it.

Cris 03-09-2011 07:44 PM

If your center blocks cover the bed and the pieces only hang on the side of the bed, I don't think they would detract, but that is just my eyes saying what I like!

CarrieAnne 03-09-2011 07:49 PM

Its a pretty quilt!

deedum 03-09-2011 07:59 PM

Thanks! That is a very good point! I think the color pops a bit. The quilt actually shows better than the picture!

connie d 03-09-2011 10:05 PM

I think its a very pretty quilt.

Maia B 03-09-2011 10:34 PM

This is a fantastic quilt. I really love it even though those colors don't usually appeal to me. I think the white border might be a great place to show of some fine quilting in colored thread. If the quilt is on a bed, the pieced border will hang down and not be near the pieced blocks. I think it will make the view of the borders at the side of the bed more interesting.

justflyingin 03-09-2011 10:59 PM

I would like the pieced border. I think it would be interesting and add to the look on the side of the bed. I do like pieced borders, though haven't made many of them.

So, I (respectfully) disagree with the first poster who said that it would take away from the center. I think it would be pretty.

And, I like your blocks. They're pretty.

deedum 03-10-2011 04:12 AM

Thanks everyone! I started cutting the blocks for the border and I like it! I will post when this is finished, I think it is going to be one of my best project.