Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   am I stupid or what? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-stupid-what-t43152.html)

trupeach1 04-19-2010 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by OraLee
I understood that just fine. A picnic quilt is bettr than no quilt. Next time I think things out a bit becore I do something that stupid. Maybe!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH everyone that saw it loved it I just hated it. It was a pieced basket quilt with pinks and blues, I had no money to buy fabric and I had a gingham blue and white in my stash so I used that for sashing, the gingham looked to county for the fabric in the baskets. I would never be that stupid again!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't like it to begin with and was using the gingham fabric out of necessity, before that would ever happen again I would rather not make the quilt.

TanyaMas 04-19-2010 09:25 AM

im working on it lol i spent the night with the seam ripper and have to finish today.... i have to quilt it by hand.
i would be embarrassed to pay some1 to quilt my work lol (they see way too many perfect 1s)

OmaForFour 04-19-2010 09:34 AM

I just pulled out a 3/4 finished small quilt that I was stitching in the ditch and didn't like it in the contrast thread. It took 3 hours to pull. As you say, you have plenty of time til Christmas.

Marjpf 04-19-2010 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by NewYearsOld
Yep! Done before. I like to call it Reverse Sew. It doesn't sound so harsh!

I like that - reverse sew - makes it sound like a technique instead of a changed mind or a mistake.

Baloonatic 04-19-2010 10:17 AM

Oh yes, I've done that too... but only because the longarm was acting up. If the quilting isn't to my liking, out it comes. I always hand quilt the "special" quilts, and if that's not up to snuff, I take it out.
If it doesn't do the quilt justice, it shouldn't be there. If I can't take pride in what I've made, I redo it till I can.
And I learned the hard way that if I'm not in the mood to quilt, I shouldn't be doing it as I'll end up reverse sewing it later!

Mary Ellen 04-19-2010 10:26 AM

More times than I want to admit.

I learned to piece, applique and quilt by hand. Have 50 years experience or so...doing that..

Now along comes machine work, and I want to learn to be "more productive", but can't get control I get with hand work...so undo, redo.

But as I become more and more disabled, I have to face reality...I won't be productive much longer unless I adapt, and accept limitations on control and points matching, etc.

So should I show you what a few choice friends and I have been doing on Face Book to learn?

And the thoughts in my head are things like, that would be better if she slowed down for more control, or I could do that...and ohhhh I really like that design.

So if you want to do what we are doing for online machine quilting lessons...say the work. I will show you how to get to the first site and then you just follow the "strings of thought" and go with the flow...

marla 04-19-2010 11:34 AM

yes. the stitches are very hard to remove.

carlasuewho 04-19-2010 12:27 PM

I just unpicked a single line of machine "stitch in the ditch" on a quilt for my grand-daughter. I was in a rush to be done with it to beat a birthday presentation and after just the one line, her quilt screamed "STOP!" I decided this one would be better in the end with Gram`s uneven, but loving stitches. Years from now, those stitches will mean alot more to her than having received the quilt a month sooner. AND I found some variegated thread perfecto mundo for it. The decision was meant to be. Heart motifs, her name embroidered in, little bits of whimsy here and there. I`m a stitcher first and a quilter second so I truly enjoy the extra "work".
I gave her her first "piecing lesson" on this quilt. (She was 9) She and I know which block is HERS, she did very well and nobody else would ever know. I can let her take her first hand quilting stitches on it as well, thus passing on my addiction, I mean a meaningful hobby, to a new generation.

truckers wife 04-19-2010 06:20 PM

yes,I have the same thing .Last week I FM a quilt for a friend,(took an hour)pulled it all out and hand quilted it(took three days)

Lostn51 04-19-2010 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
However, I think the people who do FMQ have practiced and practiced and practiced on junk pieces before they do a "real" piece.

I never practiced the first time I looked at some photos of meandering and stippling and said "Okay God lets do this" and I took off. I will say that I am my own worst enemy when it come to critiquing my work but I think I am getting the hang of it now. Maybe in the next 25 or so years I will know what I am doing!

Billy