Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I supposed to tip my longarmer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-supposed-tip-my-longarmer-t27872.html)

Lockeb 10-31-2009 06:34 AM

Here we tip everyone - or just about - I go to my garage - no matter what I have done with the car - I tip the mechanics, I tip the gas attendant, hairdressers, waiters, any service people.....sometimes I think we tip too much here but it has become so much a custom...........I havent used a LAQ yet....but looking for one....

Rose Marie 10-31-2009 06:57 AM

My longarmer is so cheap that I always buy her a gift for each quilt she does for me.
She charges 45 dollars no matter what size and she binds it too.
Of course she is so busy it takes 3 month to get your quilt back. Worth the wait.

cizzors 10-31-2009 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cathe
Because she owns the business and charges for her services according to her own policy. If she works for someone else, I would tip her.

I agree. My hair stylist works for herself and the only time I tip is when I get my highlights.

Esqmommy 10-31-2009 07:37 AM

I agree with Cathe's logic and would not normally tip my quilter or LA'r, but Shelley, you said it all!! I think giving credit is very important.

kathy 10-31-2009 07:54 AM

HOLY COW! :shock: I can't believe she binds them too for that price, I can see doing a panto for any size for that price but it would NEVER include the binding! You better hang on to her.

bstanbro 10-31-2009 08:17 AM

From what I've read here, it seems tipping is a personal choice rather than customary. From now on, maybe I'll just round up when I write my check and call it good. Thanks for the answers.

Tiffany 10-31-2009 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gomeyer
I figure if I tip my waitress 20% for something that lasts a few hours, why wouldn't I tip my longarmer for something that could last 100 years. Gomeyer

True, but the long arm quilter can set her prices and a waitress cannot. Except for California and New Mexico, waiters and waitresses only make $2-$4 an hour. They don't make minimum wage and count on tips to survive. (Can you tell I'm a waitress? Lol.) That said, I know those who do long arm work are not normally paid what their time and work is worth. I find that unless I'm going through a quilt shop, I normally tip. I'm also great at spreading around a referral!! It not only helps out the gal who is doing the quilting but it also can help move your quilt up from the back of the line. :wink:

jkrzemi 10-31-2009 04:59 PM

Hi I am very new to all of this where in Phoenix is the quilt shop you have your quilting done? I will be headed there from TX shortly. Thanks

thimblebug6000 10-31-2009 04:59 PM

Can't believe the price you can or would get your quilting done for.... if you have a queen size quilt with a panto here.....you would pay approx. $275 CDN (at the moment almost par) ......
So far.... I am still able to quilt by hand....

sewaholic 10-31-2009 10:57 PM

I wouldn't.
If she did a really good job buy her a plant or some chocolates and drop them off next time your passing with a little thank you note. But then again we don't tip here except occasionally at a restaurant.
It is really expensive here to get stuff quilted.