Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   It is amazing ! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/amazing-t252467.html)

Bree123 08-25-2014 07:53 PM

I was thinking the same thing the other day when I bought a packet of those non-slip dots for the back of my ruler. The lady at the LQS told me it came with enough dots to outfit a dozen rulers. Yeah, I have 1. lol. (Plus a triangle ruler, so I guess that's 2.) But there are other things I can't imagine doing without. How on earth anyone can get perfect shaped circles without Karen K Buckley's "Perfect Circles" tool is beyond me. I spend way too may hours trying to get just 1 to work before I gave up & bought the tool. God bless all those old-time quilters that did everything the hard way! The more tools I acquire, the more impressed I am by their skills.

citruscountyquilter 08-25-2014 10:29 PM

Yesterday's luxuries are today's necessities. Often times we don't know what we are missing until we have it. I'm sure there are many quilters out there who use die cutters to cut their fabric feel they couldn't quilt without it yet there are many others who have never had one and do just fine with a rotary cutter and mat, and still others with scissors. I think too that we live in a society of instant gratification so fast isn't fast enough. I don't think my grandmother felt this. She was content to see things happen in due time. To be this way would be nice sometimes....

toverly 08-26-2014 04:36 AM

What a lovely story, please write it down for the future. When we closed down my mom's house there were stories attached to alot of items. But unfortunately in our grief, we couldn't remember most of them, only that there was a story.

Homespun 08-26-2014 05:12 AM

Love your story!

luvstoquilt 08-26-2014 08:36 AM

love your story. I have one of those as well..it was pieced by my great grandmother with the help of her daughters..one was my adored grandmother. If I am ever not feeling well I go get that old quilt holes and all..I love every stitch in it!

tessagin 08-26-2014 08:44 AM

I just bought a YO YO maker. Lol! Actually a friend of mine loves to make yo yos and I got her one. Took it to her and she liked it because of her arthritic hands. Who'da thought? I really like mine too!

sewmini 08-26-2014 09:49 AM

I am the same way....don't need a bunch of gadgets and do think that the old quilts can be priceless.

Originally Posted by Cathy77 (Post 6859926)
You're absolutely right: That quilt has earned its retirement!

I personally am not much for fancy guizmos and thousands of different rulers, but I'd never part with my rotary cutter and mat! And sewing machine, for that matter! :p

Reading your story about this great heirloom quilt, I once again regret that I'm the first quilter in my family...

KalamaQuilts 08-26-2014 09:55 AM

I expect most of our great grandmothers, and grandmothers would kick our (Y) for the sheer wastefulness of a crypt full of fabric.

mojo11 08-27-2014 05:22 AM

What a wonderful story. That's an old quilt. Don't you wish it could talk and tell the stories it knows? lol

LITTLEOLDME 08-27-2014 05:33 AM

Well told story, that's what quilts are made for is to be loved and used.