Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   American Cancer Society Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/american-cancer-society-quilt-t182924.html)

QuiltingGrannie 03-15-2012 06:04 PM

American Cancer Society Quilt

Hi all,

I talked with a lady today who is helping a friend organize a Relay for Life walk in a neighboring town. They have selected me to make a quilt to donate for their silent auction!
:)

It will be my own design, complete with some embroidery I have asked a friend to do. Another close friend is going to help with the piecing and or binding and I'll do the longarm work on it.
The event is May 12th.

She has invited me (Quilter's Pantry) to be there and set up a space, but I'll be out of town that weekend.

I'm honored to do this for them. Can't wait to get started. Already have the design picked out (three of them actually that I designed, now to choose one).

I'll post pictures when it is done. I'll need to come up with a name for it also.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie

COYOTEMAGIC 03-15-2012 07:08 PM

AWESOME!!! Can't wait to see pictures

I have a Relay for Life patch with the emblem embroidried on it. I think it's 3inches by 4inches. If you would like one to use as part of your label shoot me your snailmail addy and I'll shoot one to you. I bought like 50 of them off eBay a few years back and give one to everybody that does a swap with me each year on blocks we all use for Relay quilts.

nstitches4u 03-15-2012 07:54 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of your finished quilt.

Prism99 03-15-2012 08:03 PM

Can you get them to change the quilt from a silent auction to a raffle? Raffles tend to bring in a lot more money for quilts!

QM 03-15-2012 08:22 PM

I hope you post the finished quilt.

QuiltingGrannie 03-18-2012 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5063939)
Can you get them to change the quilt from a silent auction to a raffle? Raffles tend to bring in a lot more money for quilts!

I'll suggest it, but it's not my event, I'm just doing the quilt for them.

Phyllis

QuiltingGrannie 03-18-2012 05:11 PM

I will post the pics when it's done.
So far.....The pieces are cut out and already put together waiting for the center block to be done this week with the logo art work. ! Then for the borders, longarming it and the binding!

Ruby the Quilter 03-18-2012 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie (Post 5071610)
I'll suggest it, but it's not my event, I'm just doing the quilt for them.

Phyllis

I worked for the American Cancer Society for years - and doing raffles are sometimes diffcult because of the nonprofit status and the laws in each state. So usually a silent auction is the best way to go. You will definitely benefit many people through a great organization.

QuiltingGrannie 03-18-2012 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter (Post 5071766)
I worked for the American Cancer Society for years - and doing raffles are sometimes diffcult because of the nonprofit status and the laws in each state. So usually a silent auction is the best way to go. You will definitely benefit many people through a great organization.

I know there are rules for that here in TN also, which is why they may be doing the silent auction.

LadyElisabeth 03-19-2012 02:49 PM

Non-profits have to be very careful with laws regarding funding and raising money.