Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anelie Belden New Book-Thoroughly Modern Dresden (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anelie-belden-new-book-thoroughly-modern-dresden-t21984.html)

Joan 06-28-2009 10:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Yesterday, I was lucky enough to attend the book signing of Anelie's Belden's new book, Thoroughly Modern Dresden. Anelie is the president of our quilt guild and quite an accomplished quilter having started at age 13!

Anelie's first attempts at a Dresden plate resulted in a block that would not lie flat and the conclusion that each seam had to be sewn particularly accurately. This book describes her exploration of the Dresden block and her own ideas for construction of different "more modern" Dresden blocks. Construction ideas to make this block easier are offered and there are lots of color pictures plus template patterns. (She also sells a plastic template that looked like it would be real handy, too.)

The actual book signing was held at the Terra d'Oro Winery in Plymouth, California. Wine tasting and hors d'oeuvres plus even a harp player added to the pleasure of the event. The highlight, though, was the display of quilts many made by Anelie and some made by her students. (No, I haven't taken her class yet but plan to!!!)

It was really HOT and the quilts were displayed outside in an arbor and the light wasn't always the best for the pictures and I'm not the best photographer. I do hope you get the idea because it was extraordinary!!!!!

Gysy Summer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38804[/ATTACH]

one of my favorites, Romancing the Reds
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38985[/ATTACH]

Joan 06-28-2009 11:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
more pics

Anelie--The wall hanging behind her shows many of her different interpretations of the Dresden and is also the cover of her book.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38749[/ATTACH]

this one is called-German Chocolate and is another favorite--I tried to take a picture of the one in the book (my "real" pciture had lots of shadows) sorry for the fuzzieness
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38751[/ATTACH]

Mplsgirl 06-28-2009 11:00 AM

Beautiful! What a talented artist.

kluedesigns 06-28-2009 11:02 AM

her work is lovely thank you so much for posting the pics and info on the book.

amma 06-28-2009 11:09 AM

What a great way to spend the day!!! Thanks for sharing with us and the tip on her book :D :D :D

quiltinggrandmaca 06-28-2009 12:29 PM

Beautiful quilts. You are so lucky to have been able to attend the show.

sewjoyce 06-28-2009 12:31 PM

Such beautiful quilts!!!! And I take it you got an autographed copy of her book???

Joan 06-28-2009 03:15 PM

Yes, I certainly did. I have just been drooling over all the pictures in the book all day.

Anelie also filmed a program with Alex and Ricky which is supposed to begin being aired online about July 20. I plan to see that one.

Who would have thought it?----a celebrity in our own midst!

sewjoyce 06-28-2009 03:24 PM

That is just so cool for you. Is she a nice person?

Joan 06-28-2009 03:37 PM

Yes, she is a nice person and really tries hard to involve everyone. She has organized our Opportunity Quilt for our guild. (now, there's a big job!)

She is very well thought of in our community and spends just about all her time teaching quilting classes. I took a Free Motion Machine Quilting Class from her and really enjoyed it. (I wish I could say "I was a natural", it was hard and takes lots of practice!) I feel real lucky to know her!