Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Animal bedding question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/animal-bedding-question-t195618.html)

craftinggrandma 07-24-2012 11:14 AM

Animal bedding question

Have a question about all the scrap pieces of fabic that i have left over after cutting. All the small pieces. Was thinking about trying to make some pet beds for the SPCA but didn't know how to go about it. Instead of throwing all those little scraps away, can they be used to stuff a pet bed with. And has anyone seen a pattern on that. I hate to throw any fabric away...:( Thanks so much for any ideas....

thimblebug6000 07-24-2012 11:17 AM

You can use an old pillow case & fill it 1/2 full and then stitch it shut. Or check with them to see if they have a specific size they prefer. I just use old christmas fabrics to make a sack & pin it to the arms of my sewing chair and all cotton fabric scraps go into it. It takes alot of scraps to make them nice & full.

ptquilts 07-24-2012 11:19 AM

don't they get very lumpy when washed? I would think a mix with batting scraps would be better.

irishrose 07-24-2012 11:42 AM

I would mix them with a bag of fiberfill to lighten it up, but it's a good idea.

QuiltE 07-24-2012 11:53 AM

Just the same as donations for human uses, when making plans to donate to animal shelters, you really should talk with the Coordinators.

Each location may have varying requirements as to what is acceptable ....... or not!

I'm sure you want to make something that is usable, than to show up to donate and be told NO!

almond 07-24-2012 12:15 PM

Puppy bags

1 Attachment(s)
Our quilt club members save their scraps from sewing projects and bring them to the club meeting and give them to me and I make doggie/kitty bags for our local animal shelter. I simply take to big pieces of fabric and sew them into a pillow and stuff in the fabric. I also use my practice fabric from my long arm experiments to make pillows

The shelter called me at one time and said they didn't want them anymore because they were too hard to wash. I suggested they just send the pillow home with the adopted pet. They love that idea because them the animal is taking something with them that has their scent on it.

The shelter loves to see me pull up. I take an average of 4 pillows a month to them.

Here is a picture of the pillows I took in a few weeks ago.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]351171[/ATTACH]

barri1 07-24-2012 01:25 PM

Please don't throw them away... I would love to pay for the postage.. I am in need of different pieces, as I am making a postage stamp quilt that has 1.5" pieces.. I wouldn't hesitate to ship extras to others that are doing the same.. Pass the word on. There are about 20 of us that are involved in a swap, and I'm sure others would be happy to receive them.. Yes.. The dogs would also appreciate beds, too.. I have thicker fabric that you might be able to use..

Originally Posted by craftinggrandma (Post 5390797)
Have a question about all the scrap pieces of fabic that i have left over after cutting. All the small pieces. Was thinking about trying to make some pet beds for the SPCA but didn't know how to go about it. Instead of throwing all those little scraps away, can they be used to stuff a pet bed with. And has anyone seen a pattern on that. I hate to throw any fabric away...:( Thanks so much for any ideas....