Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anne Needs A Break (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anne-needs-break-t287688.html)

Boston1954 04-22-2017 06:33 AM

Anne Needs A Break

....Or maybe a big cup coffee. While finishing up a Christmas surprise for my sister, I made a boo-boo. The binding was from moderate pieces, and I knew that I would have to sew a couple of lengths together. Okay, no problem. I've done that before. But I've never done this before! I got ready to pin it to the side of the quilt and realized that I had a circle. I had sewn all the ends together. (smacks forehead with palm of hand) :-)

minibarn 04-22-2017 06:37 AM

LOL, that is so funny. I recently cut some binding strips and for some reason cut off the folds so now instead of just one join I will have four.

tessagin 04-22-2017 07:03 AM

I had some old fabric not particularly fond of so made a binding for whatever. Sewed wrong sides to right sides. Face palm here but got the sewing machine motivation back a little.

dunster 04-22-2017 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7809125)
....Or maybe a big cup coffee. While finishing up a Christmas surprise for my sister, I made a boo-boo. The binding was from moderate pieces, and I knew that I would have to sew a couple of lengths together. Okay, no problem. I've done that before. But I've never done this before! I got ready to pin it to the side of the quilt and realized that I had a circle. I had sewn all the ends together. (smacks forehead with palm of hand) :-)

Wouldn't it be funny if the circle was exactly the right size for the quilt?

quilterpurpledog 04-22-2017 08:37 AM

I have developed a method for sewing the strips together that works for me. I work on my mat and pin them while flat (angled seams, of course). I always had some seams on the top of the binding strip and some on the bottom when sewing strips together that were the same on both sides. Too much frustration!

Jordan 04-22-2017 10:21 AM

Oh well-we are all known for some kind of crazy things that we have done in sewing. Mine is that I am in a hurry to get the quilt done and forget to add the last block!!!!

MadQuilter 04-22-2017 11:09 AM

Singing: Will the circle be unbroken..... That was a funny story. I thought you had done what I did with my last batch. Half of it was joined with the seams on the wrong side. It was an easy fix but annoying nonetheless.

nativetexan 04-22-2017 12:23 PM

he,he. I've sewn many pieces of binding together and you would think I'd not make a mistake. but yesterday i laid one piece down on the bed of the sewing machine, laid another on top and sewed. Wrong way. did the diagonal the wrong way. sigh. rip, rip. lay it out exactly as before but sew the other diagonal. done. So i do feel for you. your's was much more funny though!!!

quiltingcandy 04-22-2017 01:20 PM

Thank heavens it was an easy fix. Just annoying. :-) When I first started quilting I joined the binding with straight seams. Then after watching a few episodes of "Simply Quilts" I learned the joys of the diagonal joining. So easy, but it seemed half the time I was making the diagonals going different directions.... It was driving me crazy, how could I not remember from one piece to the next how it was suppose to go? Guess we all get in a hurry and try to go too fast. Now if I could just get down connecting the two ends when sewing it on to the quilt I will be very happy.

toverly 04-22-2017 03:40 PM

That's funny. Did it fit?