Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another applique question - tiny pieces (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-applique-question-tiny-pieces-t293216.html)

MeadowMist 12-10-2017 08:26 AM

Another applique question - tiny pieces

Well, I've worked through my applique faux pas problem of interface/webbing/fusing/etc problem and now have another question. There are a couple of very small pieces I need to applique. The smallest is 1/8" x 3/8". How does one sew a piece this small onto the background fabric? I'm using the machine to applique.

Thanks!

Tartan 12-10-2017 08:28 AM

If a piece is 1/8 thick, I will get matching thread and set my machine on zig zag and sew Over it rather then around it.

QuiltE 12-10-2017 08:42 AM

You didn't mention what stitch you are using, but because of your concern, I am guessing it is a zigzag, satin or blanket stitch. If you feel you cannot get it narrowed down to work with the tiny pieces you have, then you might want to do those little ones with a regular straight stitch.

cashs_mom 12-10-2017 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7959942)
If a piece is 1/8 thick, I will get matching thread and set my machine on zig zag and sew Over it rather then around it.

^^^^^ That's what I would do

MeadowMist 12-10-2017 04:10 PM

I'm now wondering if I can skip the machine applique altogether on the tiny pieces. If I just iron them on how sturdy will they be? Do they tend to not last forever and fall off? Can they take a washing or would that be a no-no?

jokir44 12-10-2017 04:48 PM

I would iron it on as you say but would also use a zig zag across the width of it.

QuiltE 12-10-2017 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by MeadowMist (Post 7960180)
I'm now wondering if I can skip the machine applique altogether on the tiny pieces. If I just iron them on how sturdy will they be? Do they tend to not last forever and fall off? Can they take a washing or would that be a no-no?

They'll be more fragile than larger pieces,
because there is very little that they are stuck down with.

So yes, a high probability that they may become unattached with usage
and especially so, with laundering.

themadpatter 12-10-2017 05:38 PM

The problem I've found with iron on stuff, and I've used everything from Bondex to iron on hemming tape, is that it eventually comes undone from washing. My theory is that its due to either the heat of the dryer, or fabric softener attacking the bonding later. So, one way or the other, I would definitely sew that little sucker down.

lynnie 12-10-2017 06:03 PM

i did a tree skirt with small ovals as the eyes and mouth on a snowman. after cutting and trying to applique, i decided to use acrylic paint. it worked fine, and you can't tell unless you're really close. maybe you can try that.

MeadowMist 12-10-2017 06:40 PM

I'm thinking if I zig zag or even sew a straight line over the tiny applique it will totally cover it and all that will be seen is a zig zag line, but I do understand about it getting lost in the wash. I might try the acrylic paint trick! That sounds like it could work.