Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another Batting Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-batting-question-t287508.html)

Austinite 04-14-2017 04:34 AM

Warm and Plush would be my recommendation, it's thicker than W&N. It needs to be quilted closer than W&N, I believe about 4" apart but double check the package.

Jo Anne B. 04-14-2017 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by quilttiger (Post 7804199)
Consider a relatively new batting by W & N; it's called Warm n Plush. It is a bit thicker, it gives a nice quilting definition.

I bought a queen size pkg. of Warm and Plush from Walmart.com, had it shipped free to the store.
Great price!

Jo Anne B. 04-14-2017 05:48 AM

Nice to see you back! Jo Anne

joe'smom 04-14-2017 05:55 AM

If you don't mind polyester, I've heard that's the warmest. Quilter's Dream makes a polyester batting they say is as warm as Down. They say the Hobb's Tuscany silk is quite warm, and yet it's really thin, unlike the wool, so maybe doubling the silk with the wool would be an option, if you want to stick with natural fibers. Both the wool and the silk are lightweight.

klswift 04-14-2017 07:48 AM

You can stay with the warm and natural or go to a wool for the batting. But, I would use a flannel backing. That little change can makes a amazing difference. If they need more than the batting/flannel additions, they should add a second quilt. This way the first quilt can also be used in the warmer months.

feline fanatic 04-14-2017 08:02 AM

I am also in the double bat category but it is difficult to handle on a domestic. No issues at all on a longarm. While so many recommend wool, my personal preference when going for warmth is a layer of 80/20 with Hobbs Polydown on top.

The warmest and heaviest quilt I own is double batted but it is an old wool army blanket my DH picked up at good will for like $2 and a layer of Hobbs polydown over that. The thing weighs a ton and it is so very warm. One thing about it I don't like is that scratchy wool army blanket is still scratch even through the cotton backing fabric. But that is not an issue when it is layered on my bed with other blankets and a sheet between me and the scratch.

Also it gets pretty darn cold here in the northeast and I also have multiple quilts piled on in the dead of winter. I also keep the house really cold. I sleep best in a very cold bedroom with lots of quilts. My normal winter pile on is sheet, down comforter, quilt with 80/20 batting, then the aforementioned double batted quilt. But this winter I left the double batted one hanging and used the scrappy log cabin one I just finished that has a poly batting. There were plenty of nights I was tossing stuff off because I was too warm!

Jordan 04-14-2017 08:34 AM

I think a double layer of W&N would work with flannel backing. I think the W&N does keep the warmth in.

MadQuilter 04-14-2017 12:26 PM

Looks like I'll be doing some research into the Dream battings, Warm and Plush, Hobbs Polydown, and doubling up with wool. So many choices, who knew? Thanks.

Pat M. 04-14-2017 12:31 PM

You can use wool and warm and natural together, layer them. Makes a real nice warm bed cover.

quilts4charity 04-14-2017 02:30 PM

I have warm n natural in a quilt with a flannel backing and it is very warm!!!