Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   another dumb question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-dumb-question-t144236.html)

feffertim 08-10-2011 06:29 PM

I know this will sound ignorant but when tearing fabric instead of cutting, do you tear from selvedge edge to selvedge edge or the other way ?

sueisallaboutquilts 08-10-2011 06:30 PM

That's not dumb!!
I've done both, actually, but usually the selvedge edge

luvTooQuilt 08-10-2011 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
That's not dumb!!

ditto.. :thumbup:

MsEithne 08-10-2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim
I know this will sound ignorant but when tearing fabric instead of cutting, do you tear from selvedge edge to selvedge edge or the other way ?

It can be done either way, it just depends on what you need.

Prism99 08-10-2011 08:05 PM

When tearing from selvedge edge to selvedge edge, you are tearing on the crossgrain, which is harder to do than straight-grain tearing. It also produces a more distorted edge, and more microscopic damage farther in along the edge (up to 2 inches).

A lot of quilters tear only to make long strips for borders, in which case they tear on the straight-grain (parallel to a selvedge). Everything else is cut rather than torn.

I guess the big question is, why do you want to tear your fabric?

feffertim 08-10-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99

When tearing from selvedge edge to selvedge edge, you are tearing on the crossgrain, which is harder to do than straight-grain tearing. It also produces a more distorted edge, and more microscopic damage farther in along the edge (up to 2 inches).

A lot of quilters tear only to make long strips for borders, in which case they tear on the straight-grain (parallel to a selvedge). Everything else is cut rather than torn.

I guess the big question is, why do you want to tear your fabric?

Just to make a piece of fabric more managable

Prism99 08-10-2011 09:08 PM

In that case, I would cut crossgrain rather than tear. It leaves a better edge, with no damage to the fabric.

ckcowl 08-11-2011 01:36 AM

which ever way you need to (make your cuts) if you want to cut long borders- and plan to cut length wise- well- tear length wise- if you always cut salvage to salvage---tear it that way- the tearing is to have a straight (on grain) edge- the grain runs both ways

loves_2_quilt 08-11-2011 04:14 AM

Ditto here too

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
That's not dumb!!

Glassquilt 08-11-2011 07:24 AM

The quality of the fabric can affect the distortion when tearing.