Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ANOTHER FMQ QUESTION (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-fmq-question-t134269.html)

Pat G 06-30-2011 11:04 AM

I have been working hard to learn how to FMQ. You all solved my breaking needles problem so now I bring my latest dilemma.
I use Machingers which work great. My prob. now is getting my quilt to move more smoothly across my machine. There seems to be such a drag that it gives me fits. I don't care for the idea of the Slider since even Leah Day has difficulties with it.
What can I do to make my quilt glide more smoothly?

Holice 06-30-2011 11:07 AM

i got one of the teflon oven cleaning mats and taped it to the machine bed.
Also have been told that if bed of machine is metal then use auto wax or if plastic then a teflon or silicone spray.

MadQuilter 06-30-2011 11:10 AM

There is also a vinyl pad you can get. It makes a big difference. I actually use this pad (cut the opening larger) for my regular sewing as well. Less jerking for bigger pieces.

QultingaddictUK 06-30-2011 11:20 AM

I know it may sound daft but all I do is polish my machine and extension table :shock:

I use a colourless polish but the best one ever is the silicone one that the men, and car valets use for the car dashboards. Nothing to catch etc; and so cheap :thumbup:

Candace 06-30-2011 11:28 AM

I love the slider. It's well worth the money. Sounds like you need to try one out.

Debbie B 06-30-2011 11:38 AM

Go to the search & type in Homemade Quilting Table. I used this picture to copy one for me. My husband made it out of some scrap lumber that he had in the garage & then I stapled batting, fabric and then the clear vinyl to the wood. The vinyl really helps in the movement of the fabric. I made mine so I can use it as shown in the picture to fmq, but I've also turned it where the machine is facing normal at times. Of course, my machine is not in a cabinet. It sits on a 6' folding table. I think there is also a posting where someone uses styrofoam boards covered in vinyl, but I didn't have the space for something that large.

Glassquilt 06-30-2011 11:43 AM

In addition to the sliders, I make sure that I have the quilt bunched up. I only want to be moving the area I'm quilting at the moment not the whole nine yards. Talk about a drag.

loves_2_quilt 06-30-2011 11:48 AM

Try to make sure you have plenty of "slack" in your quilt, don't let it hang down too far or it will make it hard to move. I put a small table for my quilts to land on and it helps.
D

QultingaddictUK 06-30-2011 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
Try to make sure you have plenty of "slack" in your quilt, don't let it hang down too far or it will make it hard to move. I put a small table for my quilts to land on and it helps.
D

On Leah Day's site she shows a perfect example of this and I have copied it, works a treat.

Pat G 06-30-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
D

On Leah Day's site she shows a perfect example of this and I have copied it, works a treat.

You all have given me good ideas. I do try to keep the slack out of things. Lately I've been working on smaller projects like toppers & wallhangings.

I will try sev. of your ideas on how to make my work slide easier. That's been my problem. I have sev. of the products you've suggested on my shopping list.

How clever of the lady in that link to put vinyl on her table & set her machine sideways. You can't beat a quilter for creativity.