Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another international shipping dilemma ... advice please? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-international-shipping-dilemma-advice-please-t71449.html)

amandasgramma 10-21-2010 10:12 AM

I had similar happen here in the US!!! I finally went down to the postmaster and had a "come to church meeting"....meaning I had a SERIOUS talk with him. Haven't had the problem since!!!!

Lacelady 10-21-2010 10:17 AM

I am presuming that your customer paid for the shipping in the first place, so if there was then an extra fee to pay, it would have been because there was a customs fee (tax) involved.

When I had a small business, the first time it happened to me I was quite shocked, as I had no idea that this might happen. I had ordered a fair amount of cotton (quilting) fabric, and there was an import charge levied on the parcel, that cost me about £50 at the time. If I hadn't been there to pay it when the postman arrived, I have no idea where it might have gone - possibly back to Customs and Excise, rather than the local sorting office.

Candace 10-21-2010 10:20 AM

I've had such negative experiences shipping out of the US, that I simply won't do it anymore:< I know this doesn't help you, but in the future is the business really worth all this extra angst, time and money?

Favorite Fabrics 10-21-2010 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I've had such negative experiences shipping out of the US, that I simply won't do it anymore:< I know this doesn't help you, but in the future is the business really worth all this extra angst, time and money?

Well... to certain countries, no. But to the UK, definitely yes.

For instance, Turkey. Shipped one package there, and it did not arrive. So we put in an insurance claim. But we won't ship there again!

We learn by doing, I guess.

Cornish Maid 10-21-2010 11:19 AM

I agree with loopy Wren and think your customer went to the Post Office and not her local sorting office. Royal Mail are usually good. Also it depends a bit on where your customer lives - if the area is a bit dodgy the postie probably wouldn't leave a package with a neighbour, or hidden by the back door as they might do in a nice area (they don't want to have to carry the parcel back with them do they!) Please don't give up sending abroad, you guys seem to have such lovely choices of fabrics.

salmonsweet 10-21-2010 02:26 PM

Yup, UK customers need to check for packages with the sorting office, not the post office.

In my experience Royal Mail is pretty good at leaving notices - I've received dozens and dozens of packages, and only two cases I can remember where the package was waiting at my sorting office and I hadn't had a notice telling me about it. I always double-check with the sorting office before I give up on a package though... :)

If the value on the customs form is above $25 or so (the exact threshold changes as currency conversion rates fluctuate), the package goes through customs to be assessed. This means a delay of approximately 3-4 weeks. The package then isn't delivered to the recipient's house at all. It is sent directly to the sorting office and a "green" notice is mailed to the recipient (ordinary notices are red), which states that the package is at the sorting office and a charge will be payable. (Import duties, plus a hefty Royal Mail handling charge of approx. $15.)

In either case (recipient not home or import charges payable), the sorting office will keep a package for three weeks before it is returned to the sender.

It's mostly reliable in my experience, although human error is always possible...

loopywren 10-21-2010 03:46 PM

Thank you for that salmonsweet, it helps to have this knowledge, Please you ladies over there, don't stop sending to us. I am longing to start ordering from you, but am holding off until this is more sorted. It appears we have custom charge and a Royal Mail delivery charge, the latter is not on really as you have already paid shipping but there it is. Apparently if a friend sends you stuff and therefore lables it a gift we do not pay any charges over here.. this, of course, does not apply to a shop though. I do not know that 100% for sure though, a lady on the board tells me it is so.

Favorite Fabrics 10-21-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cornish Maid
I ... think your customer went to the Post Office and not her local sorting office.

I would not have known that there was such a thing as a sorting office. We just have ... the Post Office. One place to check.

Is it common knowledge in the UK that parcels would be at the sorting office? Or that there are two kinds of places that handle the mail? (I'm not even sure that I'm saying this well or clearly.)

kim_s 10-21-2010 04:31 PM

I don't have anything to add but I just wanted to say I'm sorry that you (and your customer) are going through this. Kudos to you for offering international shipping even though it can be problematic at times! I know our international friends appreciate it! Good luck in the resolution!

loopywren 10-22-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics

Originally Posted by Cornish Maid
I ... think your customer went to the Post Office and not her local sorting office.

I would not have known that there was such a thing as a sorting office. We just have ... the Post Office. One place to check.

Is it common knowledge in the UK that parcels would be at the sorting office? Or that there are two kinds of places that handle the mail? (I'm not even sure that I'm saying this well or clearly.)

Yes there are two, the sorting office is exactly what it says, it is where the mail is sorted for delivery to our houses, into a letter box or for parcels in which case they knock at the door. If a parcel is not able to be delivered it is taken back to the sorting office and a card is put in your door. You can then collect it or arrange for re delivery to your home.These are government run at the moment and though there will be one in your area it may not be in your town, and they are not open as many hours. The post office is where you buy stamps, get tv and driving licences and the such like,these are inside shops of one sort or another, newsagents or supermarkets for example they are privately run,there will be several in each town and often in villages too. Hope this helps clarify things. Forgot to say that the card in your door tells you where to collect your parcel, the times it is open and a phone number if there are any queries, so there is no excuse for someone not knowing what to do or where to go, as the post office is private and you can post a parcel there you cannot pick one up.