Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another log cabin question, log or strips? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-log-cabin-question-log-strips-t301654.html)

mamagrande 12-18-2018 04:32 PM

Another log cabin question, log or strips?

So I am making a log cabin quilt and I am using EB method of sewing in strips and cutting them apart..I have also make one before and the logs where cut to the specific size and then pieced together. I am not sure which way is better. I am not especially fond of the measuring and cutting apart after piecing on the strip. I also remember having to square off after each pieced log.

So what is your favorite way and why.

Stitchnripper 12-18-2018 04:34 PM

I have only made one - the Eleanor Burns way - in a class. The instructor said trust the process so we did. All of us ended up with perfect quilts. No squaring up individual blocks.

meyert 12-18-2018 04:38 PM

I have only completed one and I used the creative grids ruler. I am working on my second one using the creative grids curvy log cabin ruler. I am not overly excited with this process.... I may check into the EB method

SusieQOH 12-18-2018 04:40 PM

I used strips and they came out great. I've made more LC's than any other quilt so far.

Rebecca_S 12-18-2018 05:05 PM

When I use strips cut to size I am accurate enough to not need to square up so that is the method I prefer.

mjkgquilt 12-18-2018 07:29 PM

I made 2 Log Cabin quilts using EB quilt in a day directions. Quilt blocks and quilt are/were perfect. Took 21 hours to make second quilt -- laptop. Recommend EB QIAD.

tallchick 12-19-2018 02:38 AM

I too prefer the cut to size method, I’m not a huge fan of chain piecing (it’s a great way for me to make the same mistake over and over) but for log cabins I do and it goes together quickly and accurately.

mandyrose 12-19-2018 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca_S (Post 8178455)
When I use strips cut to size I am accurate enough to not need to square up so that is the method I prefer.

same here....... I tried the trimming strips as you go around came out so uneven

NZquilter 12-19-2018 03:38 AM

I too love Eleanor Burns log cabin Quilt in a Day method. My quilt was queen size and I was able to make over half of it in one day. I hope to make another one soon.

Barb2018 12-19-2018 04:06 AM

I'm working on a log cabin using pre-cut pieces from Jordan Fabrics. It's the first one I've ever tried. Everything was going great until about the third log away from the center, and things didn't line up any more. Obviously my 1/4" seam isn't exactly where it should be, and the discrepancy is magnified with every log you put on. The project is stalled, because I don't know how I want to proceed. I think my next one will be with strips just so I can see if I like it better. I seem to do better if I have wiggle room.