Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another log cabin question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-log-cabin-question-t218713.html)

Ruby the Quilter 04-09-2013 05:30 PM

Another log cabin question

I have looked at lots of pictures of log cabins. My favorites are ones with 2 sides scrappy and 2 sides in light fabrics. On the 2 sides with light fabrics (whites, ivory, etc) will the logs be identical on each square or can then be different and would that be the same on the scrappy side? Hope this is clear.

Puddin57 04-09-2013 05:41 PM

the choice is yours....both or either is an interesting choice

gramajo 04-09-2013 05:41 PM

You can make it as scrappy as you want, just stay in the color range for each side.

sewingsuz 04-09-2013 06:30 PM

When i made my first Log Cabin scrappy red and blue on one side and cream on the other side. What ever you decide, be sure to show us when you are done. Happy sewing.

Ruby the Quilter 04-09-2013 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz (Post 5990023)
When i made my first Log Cabin scrappy red and blue on one side and cream on the other side. What ever you decide, be sure to show us when you are done. Happy sewing.

Did you use one cream fabric or a variety?

BrendaY 04-09-2013 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter (Post 5990181)
Did you use one cream fabric or a variety?

Use a variety of scraps and fabrics for both the color side and the light side.. Try googling some log cabin quilts, maybe on Pinterest.. and look closely at the different versions of log cabins..

Sometimes the first piece in the middle is red, signifying the hearth of the home.. I think...

Have fun! I made lots of small log cabin quilts when I first started learning and still love making them..

GrannieAnnie 04-09-2013 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter (Post 5989860)
I have looked at lots of pictures of log cabins. My favorites are ones with 2 sides scrappy and 2 sides in light fabrics. On the 2 sides with light fabrics (whites, ivory, etc) will the logs be identical on each square or can then be different and would that be the same on the scrappy side? Hope this is clear.

You're asking if the light colors need to be in the same position on all the blocks, right? Nope, but generally white whites are inside and graduate out to the beiges

GrannieAnnie 04-09-2013 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaY (Post 5990209)
Use a variety of scraps and fabrics for both the color side and the light side.. Try googling some log cabin quilts, maybe on Pinterest.. and look closely at the different versions of log cabins..

Sometimes the first piece in the middle is red, signifying the hearth of the home.. I think...

Have fun! I made lots of small log cabin quilts when I first started learning and still love making them..

The red center block is the chimney of the log cabin.

willferg 04-10-2013 06:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I made one with a variety of lights and one with same fabric for all the lights, and it was much, much easier using all the same for lights. Just my experience. I agonized over trying for no repeats and it was a relief to not have to worry about it for both sets. I think both looked fine. Not sure if you can tell from these pics:

Boston1954 04-10-2013 07:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I once made one that is all blue (except for the red center). Two "logs" were the same for each side of the block. Other than that, it was totally scrappy. It's your quilt. You can make the rules.