Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another New Hampshire LQS Closing!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-new-hampshire-lqs-closing-t263730.html)

ILoveToQuilt 04-07-2015 05:52 PM

Another New Hampshire LQS Closing!!!

So sad...after many years in business, The Bunkhouse Quilt Shop in Lyndborough, NH is closing it's doors at the end of April.

We have lost too many shops in the local area over the past few years. :( I would love to say it is the overall economy, but I think it is more that online sales and chain stores may be forcing LQS out of business. Wish it wasn't so...

Jackie Spencer 04-07-2015 07:11 PM

I think the big hick in the price of cotton a couple of years ago had something to do with also. It is very sad!

Jackie Spencer 04-07-2015 07:12 PM

Well I sure miss spelled that.....hike LOL

joe'smom 04-07-2015 07:35 PM

So sorry to hear this! I would be heartbroken if my LQS closed. The proprietor is none too young, and I often wonder if she has anyone lined up to purchase the store from her when the time comes.

ManiacQuilter2 04-08-2015 11:03 AM

It is so much less expensive to run an online store than a brick & mortar store. I miss the LQS that I had access to. Another opened but the bus doesn't even get close to it's location.

JenniePenny 04-08-2015 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 7157160)
So sad...after many years in business, The Bunkhouse Quilt Shop in Lyndborough, NH is closing it's doors at the end of April.

We have lost too many shops in the local area over the past few years. :( I would love to say it is the overall economy, but I think it is more that online sales and chain stores may be forcing LQS out of business. Wish it wasn't so...

yes, we have lost too many. This used to be an area where you could do a shop hop of 10 stores without driving for six hours. There was the Little Quilt Shop in Amherst, then Quilter's Emporium in Merrimack. At one time also Quiltopia in Hollis. They all had their own personalities.

ghostrider 04-08-2015 11:32 AM

In this case, the owner is retiring by choice after 13 years of running the shop. This is the third time she's retired from a job, so it's not like she had to close the doors for lack of business. She's earned some time for fun things and she's starting with a trip to France and Spain!!

ILoveToQuilt 04-08-2015 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 7158101)
In this case, the owner is retiring by choice after 13 years of running the shop. This is the third time she's retired from a job, so it's not like she had to close the doors for lack of business. She's earned some time for fun things and she's starting with a trip to France and Spain!!

Ghostrider...I am soooooo happy that Wanda is finally going to take time for herself! I wasn't criticizing her at all. I've known her for around 20 years now (remember the shop in her basement?) and wish her all the best. She was the "Queen" in our Red Hat Society group years ago (yes, that's how long we go back). I will definitely miss her shop. Glad, too, that she will have more time with her grands. She is a wonderful gal!