Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another note about periwinkle quilt from msq (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-note-about-periwinkle-quilt-msq-t215207.html)

Geri B 03-01-2013 04:04 PM

Another note about periwinkle quilt from msq

So, today, I decided to finish the other two units to complete the periwinkle block w/template and foundation paper from MSQ....the first two are the ones I "fixed" to get points, so I thought, do the other two and make the whole block as a reference........so I did, then proceeded to remove the paper that I had "tacked" on w/glue from MSQ........Now this may be my mistake, as I do not use glue in piecing, this too was a first for me, but anyway, as I was removing the paper the red logo on the paper has left a shadow on the background white muslin I was using.......and a very faint mark on the colored kite too.....only on the ones that I first did a few days ago.....the ones I did today, I guess because I had just done them there was no transference from paper. So, like I said, may be my fault...should maybe have put the paper print side away from fabric....I guess if I am going to finish this project-serious doubt here-I will do it that way, and I really don't think I will use the glue. Another thing....because this is foundation, not paper piecing, the outside edges of the block are all bias......so I guess if I do again, I will machine-baste the edges of all the finished blocks before putting them together.........Am not a happy camper with this project........

With the smaller blocks from sewhooked I have done those as paper-piecing....making sure those outside edges are on straight of grain.....but those are smaller and less waste too. I think I will stick to things I know.......tonight I need an Advil!!!!!

Tartan 03-01-2013 04:10 PM

I printed out the sheet from the link you posted and I will do them as paper piecing on light paper. I really like the ones you did from the link.

Dolphyngyrl 03-01-2013 07:44 PM

what is MSQ, not familiar with that acronym

kay carlson 03-01-2013 08:26 PM

Thank you for posting the ups/downs/sideways of your project. I ordered the template and papers when the Periwinkle tutorial by Jenny Doan came out. This will be my special project during spring retreat. Yes, I also noticed the bias edges and planned to stay stitch. I am sorry that you've had so many headaches with this adventure.... Best wishes for success tomorrow :-)

mighty 03-01-2013 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5897707)

I Believe it is Missouri Star Quilt Co

mooshie 03-01-2013 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5897707)

Missouri Star Quilt Company, they have lots of great tutorials on youtube. Most of them are great! I guess there is an issue with the periwinkle quilt one though.

Tartan 03-03-2013 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was looking for a pattern to use up plain white cotton broadcloth. I have tons of it left over from doing tablecloths. My block is slightly less then 8 inches but that is because I used my regular sewing foot and not my 1/4 inch foot. I am going to use up misc. scraps and hopefully make a dent in the white broadcloth pile.

Mchelem 03-06-2013 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson (Post 5897773)
Thank you for posting the ups/downs/sideways of your project. I ordered the template and papers when the Periwinkle tutorial by Jenny Doan came out. This will be my special project during spring retreat. Yes, I also noticed the bias edges and planned to stay stitch. I am sorry that you've had so many headaches with this adventure.... Best wishes for success tomorrow :-)

Bare in mind the wacky web template has to be adjusted for your points to remain. The template and the paper template from the magazine aren't the same....

BeckyMSQC 03-06-2013 12:20 PM

I am very sorry that you ladies have been having issues with the Periwinkle Quilt! MSQC posted today on their blog how to use that Wacky Web template to make that point exact. There was a very important step left out on the tutorial by accident. It is a very simple fix and it will make your life much easier making these blocks. If you ever have any questions please call or email us. We do our very best to answer any and all questions that come our way. You can ask for personally if you would like. I do not know all the answers but I will find out the answer for you!!! Again we are sorry for this error on our part and will try harder in the future!!!