Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another question about batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-question-about-batting-t255759.html)

Malequilter 10-24-2014 07:07 AM

Another question about batting

I haven't been quilting for very long and have always used the warm and natural batting. It doesn't really provide the warmth that I want and I would like to know what batting to use for max warmth ---- or should I double or triple what I have?

Peckish 10-24-2014 07:09 AM

Go for wool or poly.

PaperPrincess 10-24-2014 07:27 AM

Wool would be my choice because it breathes. I find a single layer of wool is much warmer than W&N. Many long arm quilters use a layer of cotton, then a layer of wool. If you are quilting on a domestic machine, you need to try a sample sandwich to see if your machine would handle multiple layers of anything. And as a recent post suggested, you just need to make more quilts & pile them on like at grandma's!

Boston1954 10-24-2014 07:59 AM

I've heard so much about wool lately. It seems that it has many qualities. I wish I could try it, however, being allergic that is out of the question for me. Guess I will have to just put some more quilts on the bed. So glad that I have as many as I do. Of course then I have to put a sheet over them so that Mister Muddy Paws does not mess them up. LOL

ckcowl 10-24-2014 08:02 AM

I love wool batting; dream poly is also a nice batting. Poly battings are warmer. Flannel backings also add nice, cozy warmth. Fleece backing is another choice for really warm quilts. (W&N is my last resort, last choice for any project other than maybe a wall hanging) there are really many wonderful battings on the market to choose from. Visit *Batt Mart's* website where you can read about and compare the properties of many different battings

Jan in VA 10-24-2014 08:06 AM

My word, Warm and Natural is so heavy in one layer as it is, I can't even imagine sleeping under or trying to fold a quilt with 2 or 3 layers of it!!

I use Hobbs brand wool or Quilters Dream wool. Both are less dense, much less heavy, and much easier to quilt through -- hand or machine -- than W&N, in my opinion.

I don't use polyester batting any more because it doesn't breathe, causes body to overheat, and is slippery when trying to quilt.

Jan in VA

Quiltngolfer 10-24-2014 09:04 AM

I like Quilter's Dream wool also. I only use Quilters Dream batting.

ManiacQuilter2 10-24-2014 09:10 AM

Go for the wool. I have seen posts that use double layers but I wouldn't force my Bernina to quilt that thickness.

joe'smom 10-24-2014 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer (Post 6941539)
I like Quilter's Dream wool also. I only use Quilters Dream batting.

Have you followed their recommendation for not applying heat to this wool bat? I was wondering if I should chance using my usual binding method with it, which involves the application of a hot iron to set the Elmer's school glue. Apparently their wool is thermally rather than resin bonded, and they say heat will flatten it out.

Lori S 10-24-2014 07:24 PM

I like the weight of cotton , but also needed more warmth. I used double batting , a layer of warm and natural and a THIN layer of poly. This combination works well for me. Do note the quilt sandwich will be very thick to try to quilt on a domestic machine, for this reason when I double bat I use a longarm pro.