Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another question about quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-question-about-quilting-t85562.html)

Mpark 12-27-2010 02:39 PM

I don't have any stash so I will be buying fabric for my quilt. I don't want to do just a crazy or rag quilt (although they are pretty too). What block patterns would be easy for a beginner, but be something I would be proud to show? Is the Log cabin hard? I would prefer not to have too many different colors, but more than 2. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

seamstome 12-27-2010 02:41 PM

Anything that doesnt have triangles. Traditional log cabin requires accurate seams. I would start with a nine patch or variation

Prism99 12-27-2010 02:43 PM

Rail Fence is the pattern I usually recommend to beginners.

amma 12-27-2010 02:57 PM

Warm Wishes is another easier pattern :D:D:D

ptquilts 12-27-2010 03:04 PM

Trip around the world is super easy and looks great!! All squares. Need a little math.

fleurdelisquilts.com 12-27-2010 03:05 PM

I recommend rail fence, too. It's easy, can be stunning with the right color mix, and takes only 4-5 different fabrics. You can learn several techniques--strip piecing and rotary cutting pieced strips are two that I thought of right away. Good luck. Let us know what you decide and if you have any questions, just ask. I, for one, would be very happy to lend a hand.

Gina_D 12-27-2010 03:10 PM

My first quilt was a "Crazy Quilt", it was very easy & I learned a lot from it. I used fat quarters that I picked out, using coordinating colors. I've always wanted to make another one.

sherriequilts 12-27-2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mpark
I don't have any stash so I will be buying fabric for my quilt. I don't want to do just a crazy or rag quilt (although they are pretty too). What block patterns would be easy for a beginner, but be something I would be proud to show? Is the Log cabin hard? I would prefer not to have too many different colors, but more than 2. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

I love Log Cabin quilts and it is fun to play with the layouts, getting different patterns. However, to have contrast between light and dark it is necessary to have quite a few fabrics of each (at least 3 to 5 of each plus the center square. Rail Fence is also a very good pattern for the newbie to quilting. It provides a great opportunity to master the l/4 inch seam! An accurate l/4 inch seam is absolutely vital later on when you have progressed to flying geese and star points. Took me forever to get that. I have to move my needle even though I use a l/4 inch foot on my machine. Go for it and glad you are here. We are here to answer your questions and give our humble opinions! Happy Quilting and Happy New Year.

greensleeves 12-27-2010 03:24 PM

The first quilt my daughter did was a rail fence and it came out beautiful, she used fall colors. The nice thing is that the different color combos give a totally new look. She is now getting ready to do a log cabin. Onward and upward.

marymc 12-27-2010 05:13 PM

I like the rail fence for a simple quilt. If you find a pretty focus fabric you can do every other square of that and then do a rail fence using 3 colors that coordinate with the focus. I find this to be an easy way to choose colors too.