Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another Reason to Wash Your Fabric Before Using (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-reason-wash-your-fabric-before-using-t136896.html)

lalaland 07-11-2011 02:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I always wash my fabric, but this did surprise me. These pieces were from 2 bundles I recently purchased at a yard sale. I washed all the fabric today and as I'm ironing it, I see inconsistency in the pieces in the bundle. Some washed up and stayed pretty much in shape, but some came out really wonky.

I would expect all the fabrics from the same bundle to wash up the same but apparently that doesn't hold true. These bundles were from David Textiles, the fabric was Monet Darks in Royal. The tag says Premium Quilter's Fabrics, 8 fat quarters, 18"x22" fabric cuts, 100% cotton prints, printed and manufactured in China.

The bundles are in the lower right corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225075[/ATTACH]

The lighter held up but the darker didn't
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225076[/ATTACH]

craftybear 07-11-2011 02:58 PM

thanks for letting us know

starshine 07-11-2011 03:05 PM

I am a prewasher. I have seen FQs wash and retain their shape and then some are all wonky. I recently reflected on this and I'm wondering if it might depend on how the fabric is cut. If someone cut cafefully along the grain lines, or if they just went through cutting it as it laid out whether on the grain or not.

abc123retired 07-11-2011 03:46 PM

The darker FQ was cut on the bias.

lalaland 07-11-2011 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by abc123retired
The darker FQ was cut on the bias.

That's what I think too.

PrettyCurious 07-11-2011 04:03 PM

That's not why I wash. That's why I don't buy fat quarters.

If you want a better reason to wash 2nd hand fabric imediately, think - bed bugs. That'll do it fer ya! The dryer is what kills em. You can wash em again if you want to line dry.

Jingle 07-11-2011 04:55 PM

Doesn't look like it was cut on the true bias, just cut crooked. It would be fine cut to a smaller size, maybe for a scrappy.

bearisgray 07-11-2011 05:00 PM

The darker one looks like one or two things might be going on with it:

It might have gotten pulled off grain during processing - and then when cut perpendicular to the selvage or fold - it was "off"

Then, when it was washed it reverted to its "normal" - a bit like some of us do when the control top pantyhose come off.

OR - it may have been printed a bit off grain.

burnsk 07-11-2011 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
The darker one looks like one or two things might be going on with it:

It might have gotten pulled off grain during processing - and then when cut perpendicular to the selvage or fold - it was "off"

Then, when it was washed it reverted to its "normal" - a bit like some of us do when the control top pantyhose come off.

OR - it may have been printed a bit off grain.

I think you're right on all counts, especially the panty hose. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jaciqltznok 07-11-2011 05:38 PM

Joanns fabrics...they were rotary cut without ever being ripped and put ON GRAIN...you can square it up now and just use it for a scrappy project!