Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another senior moment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-senior-moment-t255821.html)

GagaSmith 10-25-2014 09:28 AM

Another senior moment

I can't believe I did this.
I decided to try a quilt as you go for the first time. I made my blocks, layered each block with batting, and quilted it. Then sewed the blocks together.
I went to put the backing on and out of habit I layered it with backing and batting. So now I have two layers of batting. Everything is glued together with Elmers but I haven't quilted it together yet. I plan to just quilt next to the ditch on each row/column.
Do you think it will be ok? Sure will be warm.

cathyvv 10-25-2014 10:22 AM

Let me know how it turns out. I think it'll be fine, but I KNOW it will be warm!

As for me, I had a very serious "senior" moment the other day. I was thinking very hard about something and, at the same time, turned the garbage disposal on and started to put my hand in it to push the garbage into it.

Luckily, I caught myself before my hand was actually in the garbage disposal.

God was certainly with me at that moment!

crafty pat 10-25-2014 10:46 AM

I hope it works for you, I think it will be hard to sew through all that thickness but you will have a very warm quilt. Cathyvv you were so lucky not to get badly hurt. I guess we seniors do some very unusual things sometimes I know I sure do more all the time.

mandyrose 10-25-2014 11:18 AM

didn't do that yet but had senior moments with my quilting that made me wish I could kick my behind, omg cathv good thing you you didn't get hurt I don't have a garbage disposal but I was slicing tomatoes and as I picked up the salt shaker I open it and poured the whole salt shaker on the tomatoes ugh what was I thinking

michelleoc 10-25-2014 11:19 AM

You made my day! I hope you are able to resolve the issue. Just know that we all have those moments...

tessagin 10-25-2014 11:22 AM

That was a close call!

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 6942913)
Let me know how it turns out. I think it'll be fine, but I KNOW it will be warm!

As for me, I had a very serious "senior" moment the other day. I was thinking very hard about something and, at the same time, turned the garbage disposal on and started to put my hand in it to push the garbage into it.

Luckily, I caught myself before my hand was actually in the garbage disposal.

God was certainly with me at that moment!

MFord 10-25-2014 11:59 AM

It'll be nice and warm. Just stitch slowly!

PaperPrincess 10-25-2014 01:15 PM

just make sure that your rows/columns are within the quilting limits of the new batting. You sure don't want it to shift thru use or laundering.

Dina 10-25-2014 02:09 PM

I have read threads here where a quilter has doubled the batting on purpose, so I would think it must be something that works. Don't worry about senior moments. They keep things interesting...(and we all have them).

Dina

ManiacQuilter2 10-25-2014 03:47 PM

I would never want to force my old Bernina to stitch thru two layers of batting but if you are careful, hopefully everything will turn out OK. As Dina said, we ALL HAVE THEM like it or not!! :)