Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another sewing question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-sewing-question-t20239.html)

MadQuilter 05-19-2009 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by omak
The place on the back, where little tucks happen during the quilting process are called kisses,

if the wrinkles are hugs then I have quilts of love - lol

omak 05-19-2009 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

Originally Posted by omak
The place on the back, where little tucks happen during the quilting process are called kisses,

if the wrinkles are hugs then I have quilts of love - lol

That's the spirit! :thumbup:

ellenmg 05-20-2009 03:50 AM

Oh fabuchicki, that is genius!!! As I say to myself, why didn't I think of that???? Where did you get those pins? Nifty! I like the big safety pins but they leave marks on the fabric....

sally2c 05-20-2009 08:09 AM

The best way is to baste the quilt together. With my carpal tunnel hands, I can't manage a hoop, so quilt by hand without.

I have made several quilts with the quilt-as-you-go techniques. The last one I did was to make 5 different panels, pin the top, batting & backing together and then quilt each individual panel on my sewing machine. I then join the panels with seam covering strips and zig zag the strips together.

I avoid ripping as much as possible!

Sally

omak 05-20-2009 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by sally2c
The best way is to baste the quilt together. With my carpal tunnel hands, I can't manage a hoop, so quilt by hand without.

I have made several quilts with the quilt-as-you-go techniques. The last one I did was to make 5 different panels, pin the top, batting & backing together and then quilt each individual panel on my sewing machine. I then join the panels with seam covering strips and zig zag the strips together.

I avoid ripping as much as possible!

Sally

I think a good book to help you work with this system is "Divide and Conquer" ... I think it was written by the team from Piece-o-cake quiltworks. I saw the book demonstrated on Simply QUilts and I thought the seam covering strips you are talking about were a dandy solution. I am glad you thought to mention this system/technique.

sally2c 05-20-2009 08:16 AM

I love that book! It does not get lost in my other quilting books & magazines!

Sally

omak 05-20-2009 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by sally2c
I love that book! It does not get lost in my other quilting books & magazines!

Sally

Was I correct about who wrote it? If not, would you please include that for our questioning friends? I have to get ready for DR appointment. Will be checking back later this evening - - won't be at the DR all that time! <G> Naps take time, don't you know? :lol:

fabuchicki 05-20-2009 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ellenmg
Oh fabuchicki, that is genius!!! As I say to myself, why didn't I think of that???? Where did you get those pins? Nifty! I like the big safety pins but they leave marks on the fabric....

I get 1 inch pins, usually brass (since brass is softer than the stainless and seems easier to work with) at the quilt shop and then you have to fit them with the covers (takes an evening with a little needle nose pliers)

Here are the supplies I use.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=4840

I guess I put money into the pinning process since it's my least favorite part of quilting. I wouldn't say it leaves no marks on the quilt but they are usually not noticeable. As my husband likes to say, "If they look that close, punch 'em in the nose!"

Rose Marie 05-20-2009 12:39 PM

Joanns has those pin covers and with a coupon its reasonable.
I love them, your fingers dont get sore.

sewingnewbie 05-23-2009 04:05 PM

I most definetly appreciate all the great info, and I will be getting a walking foot as soon as finances allow....I did try the hoop "briefly" and became frustrated soooo I decided what the heck, I would hand stitch it. I must say I am enjoying the peacefulness that handstitching seems to bring. It's such a nice way to unwind at the end of the evening. I will invest in the walking foot before I make my next quilt tho...thanks again everyone! You are a great bunch of people and I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the great information and help everyone here gives. I'm so glad I found this site.