Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another side note about "wash or don't wash." (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-side-note-about-wash-dont-wash-t267552.html)

faykilgore 07-13-2015 06:48 PM

Another side note about "wash or don't wash."

I always always washed quilt fabric. It's how I was taught, and thus how I taught my students. Then I read multiple threads here with the pros and cons and thought, ''Hmmm." So, I tried it. I've made two quilts now with unwashed fabric. They both contained all new material, none from my stash. It was awesome skipping all that prep time. I'm going to have issues with the reds in the cowboys, but that's not the real problem. Now I have scraps from these quilts. I'm going to have to wash the scraps if I want to incorporate them into any of the already washed scraps from previous projects. I could separate washed from unwashed scraps, but that just gets complicated. I've created quite the mess here. For me, with such a large washed stash, I think I'll just keep pre-washing fabric from now on. It's a real pain, too, since I no longer have a washer and dryer.

peaceandjoy 07-13-2015 07:12 PM

Check Bonnie Hunter's site - quiltville.com and blog. She mixes washed and unwashed without problem, as do I. No way I'm washing everything before use. If I'm worried about something (reds, blacks), I do a test but that's about it.

starshine 07-13-2015 07:25 PM

If you have unwashed or mixed fabrics in a project you can use the color catchers when you wash them-that should help keep colors from bleeding into each other if they bleed. The only problem then might be if you have an unwashed fabric that has a lot of shrinkage. I was taught too to prewash. Shrinkage variables being one reason and fabric bleeding the other. Many on here have stated they don't prewash and don't seem to have a problem. I have had some fabrics that with washing and rinsing still had color bleed after 2-3 times wash and double rinse, one was a couple of yards of a really nice tourquise color I may have to treat with retayne before using to get it to stop. I can imagine it would be very burdensome with out a washer/dryer.

RST 07-13-2015 07:54 PM

I mix washed and unwashed fabrics in quilts all the time -- no problems. I really don't think it has to be such a big deal, specially if you use a color catcher in your first washes of the final product. Most of us aren't using lye soaps and beating quilts on the rocks by a river or boiling them over fires in big old pots. I think some of the rules can be tossed at will since they were put into place in different conditions. Manufacturing processes are different now too. If you're really worried, make something smallish -- a table runner or some hot pads, and see how your scraps play together before you invest more time and materials in a bigger project.

Melanie Rudy 07-13-2015 07:57 PM

I have also mixed washed and unwashed fabrics without a problem. Have fun!

Prism99 07-13-2015 09:59 PM

You can mix washed and unwashed scraps. Just treat the finished quilt as if it were all unwashed. You do not have a problem. :)

ckcowl 07-13-2015 10:02 PM

I also mix washed & not washed fabrics all the time, I prewash fabrics that smell funky, feel funky or are bleeders. Most others I don't. I've never had any adverse effects from both being in a quilt. I always launder my finished quilts, final step after binding. They come out great!

ManiacQuilter2 07-14-2015 03:41 AM

it is what ever works for the individual. I found it a big waste of time. You can wash small cuts by hand or put them in one of those mesh bags. Always watch out for dark reds, purple and navy. Those are normally the most often bleeders.

gigi712 07-14-2015 04:01 AM

Watch out for saturated colors like red, black and some batiks, use color catchers and mix it all up and enjoy.

hairquilt 07-14-2015 05:42 AM

Hummmm-I used to wash all my fabric but stopped when I did my first stack & whack as pattern call for unwashed fabric . No problems so far! Some swaps also call for unwashed fabric-your choice!