Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/answer-walmart-%22quality-fabric%22-email-t70857.html)

stefanib123 10-18-2010 08:38 AM

I got an answer back from A.E. Nathan as to whether Walmart gets a crappier quality of fabric than the quilt stores. I've heard it on here and at other places that even if the fabric looks the same, its actually a lesser quality.

This never sounded right to me, but I don't know much about stuff like this, so I emailed a couple of different fabric companies, and simply asked them. Here's their reply:

Good Morning Stephanie,
This is total nonsense. We don’t have the time or the energy to make different fabrics for the shops and walmart. So in short, the answer is NO. Everyone gets the same version.
Thanks.
Scott

I am still waiting to hear from the other companies.

Favorite Fabrics 10-18-2010 08:39 AM

The answer would be the same for Cranston/VIP. I've seen their warehouse, and it all gets pulled from the same stock.

ptquilts 10-18-2010 08:45 AM

yes, but every company has seconds, where do those wind up?

stefanib123 10-18-2010 08:51 AM

Ptquilts, evidently not Walmart, LOL!

bearisgray 10-18-2010 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts

There is a company called "Mill End Textiles" that has several outlets in Minnesota. Some of them may end up there.

Some of the fabrics have flaws -
Most seem okay to me - one does need to pay attention to what one is buying there.

BellaBoo 10-18-2010 09:41 AM

I found David's Textiles fabric is many quilt shops while traveling. It is the exact same as the David's Textiles at a nearby Walmart that has the Quilt of the Month program. The fabric dept. manager at that Walmart orders directly from David's Textiles and AE Nathan. She told me any Walmart that has fabric, the manager can order directly from those companies for the Quilt of the Month fabrics. Walmart has a contract with them. The quilting cotton wall and other fabrics come from Walmart's warehouse.

Lilrain 10-18-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts

I believe they end up as flat folds

Candace 10-18-2010 11:44 AM

I really have like David Textile fabric and when I heard they can be sometimes purchased at W.M. I've changed my snooty tune.

stefanib123 10-18-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I really have like David Textile fabric and when I heard they can be sometimes purchased at W.M. I've changed my snooty tune.

I like you, girl!

patricej 10-18-2010 04:03 PM

i have absolutely seen the same David's fabs in WalMart that i had purchased just a few weeks earlier in an LQS.

today, i was in a chain fabric store. several of the exact fabrics i have in my stash from walmart are selling there for $8.99 per yard!!!! i paid $2.97 per yard.