Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Antique Quilts behind glass/ plexiglass (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/antique-quilts-behind-glass-plexiglass-t298577.html)

JenniePenny 07-29-2018 12:51 PM

Antique Quilts behind glass/ plexiglass

Does anyone have experience with creating a glass enclosure or cover for an older quilt that you'd like to look at but protect the delicate seams and fabrics? I am the proud new owner of a quilt made in the 1930's that fits this description. I don't want the quilt to have to be constantly tucked away in a cloth bag in a closet for safe-keeping. I would be happier looking at it and have others look at it when they visit my home.
The quilt is about 66" X 72". I'm sure that plexiglass comes in big enough pieces. Keeping the display out of direct sunlight would also be a factor.
Do you think quilt museums sell their fixtures occasionally?

nativetexan 07-29-2018 01:05 PM

I only know they make quilt display furniture. some sort of treated glass in those. but it is for several folded quilts.

JustAbitCrazy 07-29-2018 02:22 PM

If you frame quilt pieces, you need to put spacer pieces all around the glass so the fabric never touches the glass. There has to be air between the glass and the fabric to prevent mildew from forming on the fabric when there are temperature fluctuations (just before and after winter, etc.) which cause condensation on the inside of the glass.

ragamuffin 07-29-2018 05:22 PM

I believe there is a plexiglas that is much better for this then glass. Check it out.

applique 07-29-2018 06:35 PM

Some times Michaels has plexi pieces for the display of sports items and they can be used for quilts. For example one for a jersey or one that can cover the folded quilt on your coffee table.

Peckish 07-29-2018 06:36 PM

If it's an antique and means that much to you, then go have it professionally framed. They will put it in a shadow box, use acid-free materials and conservation glass that will protect from damaging UV rays. My MIL did this for my husband and I with all our childhood mementos. They're really cool and get lots of ooohs and ahhs from visitors to our home. My husband's has his cub scout uniform, soccer jerseys, pictures, and a tiny cast from a broken wrist at age 4. Mine has my girl scout patches, high school letters and awards, and patches from all the places I traveled as a child.

Wow, I went off-topic and that was probably TMI, but oh well. :D

JenniePenny 07-30-2018 01:20 AM

Thanks everybody. A shadow box seems like it will be an excellent idea.

Jordan 07-30-2018 06:12 AM

My only concern would be condensation getting into the area if you have it all closed in plexiglass. I used to do cross stitich and the store would not put glass in the frame for this reason. Just a thought.

SusieQOH 07-30-2018 06:15 AM

I recently had a glass curio cabinet made for my antique quilts. I have cats and don't want them on them. If I were to hang one I would use spacers, as someone suggested.
I will keep an eye on mine and alternate them, etc.

KalamaQuilts 07-30-2018 06:52 AM

another thing to consider is being able to rotate the quilt so the pull on the seams and quilting is shared.