Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Antique quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/antique-quilts-t205315.html)

QuiltingCrazie 11-07-2012 01:39 AM

Antique quilts

I'm probably going to get blasted for this topic but I have a question. Members of my guild already did that lol. I won an antique quilt through a raffle at our guild auction. It's beautiful, made in the 1930's by someones Gran and and three sisters got together and hand quilted it last year then donated it for raffle. The pattern is spiderweb they are huge made from cottons. My question is can I wash it? It's a huge quilt, queen size. I believe quilts should be used, why make them if they are not intended for use? I don't want to wear it out at all, there is no applique just pieced. It's displayed in my house right now. Please tell me what the "rules" are for a quilt this old, it has never been washed or used. My intention is to enjoy it not ruin it! I dont want to wash it and risk the top falling apart. It looks very well made. Thanks!

mic-pa 11-07-2012 03:54 AM

I would wash it, I was given and antique Sun Bonnett Sue quilt top and i washed it in my washing machine because it was stained. It came out very nice then I hand quilted it. There was a lot of applique on it and nother came apart. Use you gentle cycle if you do this

Pat625 11-07-2012 04:23 AM

I don't blame you for wanting to use it!! If you are afraid to wash it, could you send it for dry cleaning? Personally, tho, I think if you use the Gentle cycle it should wash just fine

DogHouseMom 11-07-2012 04:47 AM

I would wash it in a front load machine only ... I wouldn't agitate it in a top loader. Dry on no more than half heat setting ... or wait until the summer when you can line dry it.

Daylesewblessed 11-07-2012 04:51 AM

I also would wash it, but very gently. My preference for washing vintage quilts is to use the bathtub, avoiding agitation and wringing. Before getting it wet, you might want to test for colorfastness.

It sounds like a wonderful quilt, and I can see why you would want to have it completely clean before using it in your home.

BeckyB 11-07-2012 04:52 AM

I too would want to use it. I think that is what a quilt is intended for....to use. Like the others have said I would use a gentle cycle.

Tartan 11-07-2012 04:57 AM

Moisten a piece of white cloth and gently rub on the colours you suspect might run. If there is colour transfer then you can decide if you want to chance it. I would hand agitate in a bathtub and let out the water and let it rest in the tub until most of the water has seeped out. I would prefer to let it dry laying out on a white sheet outside rather then in the dryer.

PaperPrincess 11-07-2012 05:48 AM

I would also use a bath tub, with a mild detergent. I would also put a sheet on the bottom of the tub. When done washing, drain the tub and gently squeeze the water out, then use the sheet to lift the quilt out so there is no strain on the fabric.

liont 11-07-2012 06:18 AM

Why would we blast you? We just want to see a picture. :o
Pretty please..?

GrannieAnnie 11-07-2012 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie (Post 5640308)
I'm probably going to get blasted for this topic but I have a question. Members of my guild already did that lol. I won an antique quilt through a raffle at our guild auction. It's beautiful, made in the 1930's by someones Gran and and three sisters got together and hand quilted it last year then donated it for raffle. The pattern is spiderweb they are huge made from cottons. My question is can I wash it? It's a huge quilt, queen size. I believe quilts should be used, why make them if they are not intended for use? I don't want to wear it out at all, there is no applique just pieced. It's displayed in my house right now. Please tell me what the "rules" are for a quilt this old, it has never been washed or used. My intention is to enjoy it not ruin it! I dont want to wash it and risk the top falling apart. It looks very well made. Thanks!

If you use Oxy-clean or something of that type, you can put the quilt in the tub, let it soak, agitate it by hand, rinse good and let it drain. Find something to hang it over in the tub, maybe a plastic chair. Be careful picking up a wet quilt so you don't tear it, keep it bunched up. After it's drained real well, hang it outside, still folded in 4ths, then bring it in to the dryer.