Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any advice for using Tricot fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-advice-using-tricot-fabric-t228006.html)

Rhonda Lee 08-15-2013 06:53 AM

Any advice for using Tricot fabric?

Since I am a quilter I 'inherited' a huge tub of fabric from my MIL. A few pieces are cotton but the majority is Tricot. Is there a creative way of using this fabric besides giving it to Goodwill? There are yards and yards and then some. The fabric is high quality. I know years ago quilts were made with this type of fabric, but I hesitate to follow that path. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Misty's Mom 08-15-2013 07:01 AM

What if you put a backing on it like the t-shirt quilts?

bearisgray 08-15-2013 07:11 AM

At one time, one could buy quilted tricot - it was made into robes or bed jackets.

It was a layer of tricot, fluffy polyester batting, and backed with another layer of tricot. It was machine quilted in a grid pattern.

One can make lovely nightgowns and pajamas from tricot.

NanaBeez 08-15-2013 07:11 AM

I am envious. Whenever I come across tricot at second hand stores I buy it. It isn't available like it used to be in the 60-80's but I have made a lot of blankets with flannel on one side and tricot on the other. It could be used for whole cloth quilts. They would be more difficult to machine quilt but lend themselves well to tie or I have also hand quilted them on a frame. They make wonderful baby blankets using, again, the flannel and the tricot. Soft, soft, soft. Minky and tricot could work too.

tessagin 08-15-2013 07:15 AM

Maybe make some nice throws for nursing homes or bed shawls where the residents/patients only have to put their hands through. Booties for patients with poor circulation to keep their feet and calves warm? They all wash well.

bearisgray 08-15-2013 08:06 AM

Nylon tricot is slippery and would tend to slide off beds and laps.

I've made some very nice pillowcases from tricot.

bearisgray 08-15-2013 08:07 AM

Nylon tricot is slippery and would tend to slide off beds and laps.

I have made some nice pillowcases from tricot. They last almost forever!

GrannieAnnie 08-15-2013 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee (Post 6235556)
Since I am a quilter I 'inherited' a huge tub of fabric from my MIL. A few pieces are cotton but the majority is Tricot. Is there a creative way of using this fabric besides giving it to Goodwill? There are yards and yards and then some. The fabric is high quality. I know years ago quilts were made with this type of fabric, but I hesitate to follow that path. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

I have a roll (a billion yards or so) of light blue. So far the only thing I've used it for is for knitting very cushy mats. Made one of a friend's cat.

I roll out the tricot a yard or so at a time, then I cut fron the left ALMOST to the right, then go above that part and cut from right to almost left border-----about an inch. Then I use it as yarn. The uncut ends leave a little bump when quilting, but a fun tag for the cat to play with,

snipforfun 08-15-2013 04:22 PM

Tricot is mostly a Utah thing! LOL

bearisgray 08-17-2013 04:12 PM

When Stretch n Sew classes were popular - making things from tricot - underpants, nightgowns, slips, pillowcases, sheets - was a big thing.