Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any Advice For White Sashings? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-advice-white-sashings-t253267.html)

KarenJ 09-08-2014 02:18 PM

Any Advice For White Sashings?

I am making a baby quilt with white sashings and deep bright colors. I am concerned about seams, fray threads, etc. showing through. Seams normally go toward the sashing and I am worried that turning them the other way would look funny and create problems at the corners. Any advice for me?

ManiacQuilter2 09-08-2014 02:25 PM

No advice but that may happen. Seems that fabrics are fraying a lot more than they use to back in the good old days !!

kathyd 09-08-2014 02:41 PM

What if...you use 2 layers of white (or muslin for the under layer) for the sashing and then trim the colored fabric in the seams to slightly less than 1/4"? Maybe even do slightly larger seams before trimming. Another option might be to zig-zag the seams or use a serger on them if you have one.
I admit I've not done this but the latest hand embroidery suggested putting muslin behind the piece before doing the hand work and it works.
Let us know what you decide to do and post a picture .

Jeanne S 09-08-2014 02:42 PM

I use lots of white sashing in my quilts and have never had a problems. I do try to press away from the white if possible, but often don't. I do take care to trim back threads closely so there are fewer of them to stray under the white fabric. Also, be sure to use white batting, like Warm & White (not Warm & Natural) and this helps to keep your white fabric showing white in the quilt, and helps disguise seam allowances that are pressed toward the white sashing. After it is quilted you really don't notice the seam allowances under the white fabric. A couple of days ago I posted a picture of a baby quilt I did with white sashing and bright fabrics (think the title was something like Baby Girl Quilt for Shower-Very Easy with Charm Pack) that you can look at and see nothing shows through the white fabric.

Doggramma 09-08-2014 02:44 PM

I did a similar quilt and tried to press toward the dark when possible. I used a Kona white. Also I was extra careful when I was ready to sandwich it, making sure to get rid of any loose darker threads so they didn't get sandwiched in.

ArtsyOne 09-08-2014 02:54 PM

Most of my baby quilts use white sashings. I make sure that there are no loose colored threads (I sew with both white and colored threads depending on the block), press towards the colored fabrics, and make sure that my white batting is completely free of stray colored threads. No problems so far.

Tartan 09-08-2014 03:09 PM

Do a slightly thicker seam allowance for the sashing and grade the coloured part of the seam after stitching.

Up4BigChal 09-09-2014 04:27 AM

I use a pinking rotary cutter on all my baby quilts because I know they are going to get washed alot! so far so good!