Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any ideas on how to get an old stain out? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-ideas-how-get-old-stain-out-t57291.html)

Tink's Mom 08-01-2010 09:58 AM

I use antique chenille quite often for quilts in my business. I had picked up a really cute wooden cradle at a garage sale and HAD to make bedding for it....
It is all done and the quilt is quilted...I now find a couple of spots on the back side that I didn't see when making this. I have tried washing with OXYCLEAN and treating with spray pre treats...nothing is moving these stains. My next step is going to be pouring hydrogen peroxide on it...I just don't feel comfy do it without asking for input....BTW, I think these are typical baby stains...

Spydee 08-01-2010 10:35 AM

This is the trick I use with old clothing ....

In a large bucket, mix equal parts Biz (yes,the brand name) laundry detergent and Dawn dishing washing soap (original blue formula) in hot water and then soak the article for a couple of days. I use about 0.25 to 0.5 cup of each product. Wash/dry the article as desired.

This has worked about 80%+ of the time on the first try. If I see improvement, but still traces of the offending spot I will go for a second go around.

The real hard part of this treatment is the time. The more time you allow the item to soak, the better chance of success.

Good luck on removing the offending spots.

sewcrafty 08-01-2010 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I use antique chenille quite often for quilts in my business. I had picked up a really cute wooden cradle at a garage sale and HAD to make bedding for it....
It is all done and the quilt is quilted...I now find a couple of spots on the back side that I didn't see when making this. I have tried washing with OXYCLEAN and treating with spray pre treats...nothing is moving these stains. My next step is going to be pouring hydrogen peroxide on it...I just don't feel comfy do it without asking for input....BTW, I think these are typical baby stains...

They use to carry at JoAnn's a product called Mary Ellen's Bye-Bye Baby Stains. I haven't seen it there lately, but it you googled it I bet you would find it. My sis sent me some of her boys bibs when I had my son and all the stains came out. Absolutely wonderful product.

QuiltMania 08-01-2010 11:12 AM

A few years when we were in GA, I was able to get the baby dress that DH grandmother made for him to come home from the hospital in. It was very yellow and was stained. I was able to get all the yellow and stains out by soaking in Ivory Snow detergent dissolved in warm water. I let it soak for about an hour. Had to repeat a couple of times but it looks good now.

trupeach1 08-01-2010 11:13 AM

lemon juice then put it in the sun. My grandma used that for all kinds of stains.

Tink's Mom 08-01-2010 03:44 PM

I'll try the lemon first...tomorrow...then go from there....

littlehud 08-01-2010 08:17 PM

My mom used to use lemon juice. Thanks for the memory.

KellyPA 08-01-2010 08:28 PM

I only use orvis on quilting and cross stitch pieces. I'm not sure how great it is about getting bad stains out, but it does work very well on age and dust related stains.