Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any ideas the pattern for these blocks.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-ideas-pattern-these-blocks-t319929.html)

tlpa 01-16-2023 07:39 AM

Any ideas the pattern for these blocks..

1 Attachment(s)
Hello! I purchased a bag of blocks from Goodwill. I thought there were instructions inside. When I got home, the paper inside was for a shooting star block...which appears to have nothing to do with these blocks. There are 6 of the most intricate blocks and 14 of the large cream-centered square-in-a-square blocks (although this may not mean anything). And along with the other blocks pictured there are a LOT of the smaller size half square triangles still in the bag. Any ideas as to the pattern would be appreciated!

sewbizgirl 01-16-2023 08:08 AM

Let's see, you've got 2 sizes of square-in-square blocks, 2 sizes of 4 patches, chevron blocks, half square triangles, and I don't have a name for the bigger block in the center. Looks like the small sq-in-sq and 4 patch blocks were meant to make more of the big blocks in the center. All that's lacking are blue squares with snowballed corners. Did you get any of the fabrics too? Nice find!

tlpa 01-16-2023 08:21 AM

Yes, I'm figuring the tons of half square triangles, and maybe the other smaller blocks might be combined somehow..there are only 2 of the chevron, and I could possibly combine the oodles of half-squares into chevron's all though this isn't how the original 2 are made. There are only blocks in the bag... no fabric... there appears to be enough blocks to create a quilt if I can figure out how to put it together.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8585440)
Let's see, you've got 2 sizes of square-in-square blocks, 2 sizes of 4 patches, chevron blocks, half square triangles, and I don't have a name for the bigger block in the center. Looks like the small sq-in-sq and 4 patch blocks were meant to make more of the big blocks in the center. All that's lacking are blue squares with snowballed corners. Did you get any of the fabrics too? Nice find!

quiltedsunshine 01-16-2023 03:41 PM

Or, you could just lay them out and play with them until you get a design you like. They're quite pretty!

tlpa 01-17-2023 11:51 AM

Yes, I could do that, but hoping for an inkling of a direction :)

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine (Post 8585527)
Or, you could just lay them out and play with them until you get a design you like. They're quite pretty!

Gay 01-17-2023 03:02 PM

Here is a Shooting Stars pattern and it looks like your blocks fit in perfectly

shooting stars table topper

OurWorkbench 01-17-2023 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I had seen something similar, lately, but unable to find it. I'm wondering if it could be using two sizes of the block. I'm thinking that the chevron & 4 patch on the top go with the pieces on the right to make a larger block of very similar design. Since the square in square seem to be a lighter color, could it be that it was meant to be a signature quilt. Although looking at it again, the chevron should be more solid at the bottom.

Attachment 642368

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

tlpa 01-25-2023 03:11 PM

Hmmm... that looks very promising. I'm going to try to lay them out that way. Thank you SOOO much!!

Originally Posted by Gay (Post 8585669)
Here is a Shooting Stars pattern and it looks like your blocks fit in perfectly

shooting stars table topper

tlpa 01-25-2023 03:14 PM

It's possible it could be a signature quilt, with that large light colored block. I really appreciate you lending your ideas!! Thank you!!

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench (Post 8585694)
I thought I had seen something similar, lately, but unable to find it. I'm wondering if it could be using two sizes of the block. I'm thinking that the chevron & 4 patch on the top go with the pieces on the right to make a larger block of very similar design. Since the square in square seem to be a lighter color, could it be that it was meant to be a signature quilt. Although looking at it again, the chevron should be more solid at the bottom.

Attachment 642368

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Minnesewta-sam 01-25-2023 05:36 PM

Check out Jenny Doan's Quatrefoil quilt. This looks the same to me except yours has a square in a square in the center. I don't know how to link it to this, but I'm sure someone else does.