Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any ideas for small hand work to do... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-ideas-small-hand-work-do-t120847.html)

CQMadhatter 05-06-2011 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like framed hexagons...I have done the English Paper Piecing, but I am getting old and it is harder to see. The simple hexagons that I do require you to layer 1 6" hexagon, 1 6" hexagon cut out of felt and one 6 1/2 inch hexagon. I sandwich them together with a safety pin. I take the larger hexagon with the good side to the table, then the felt hexagon and then the small hexagon. I fold the sides 1/4" and then fold that on top and stitch down, mitering as I go. As I have progressed, I have started making an additional layer with a hexagon cut out of the middle<PM me if you are interested> and it looks like a frame where I can put pictures of saints...attached you will find St. Jude encased in a framed framed hexagon. Prayers for your daughter....

excuse my scanner...Here is St.Jude
[ATTACH=CONFIG]193958[/ATTACH]

ronnie17 05-07-2011 04:37 AM

I see lots of English Paper Piecing so want to throw in a vote for Cathedral window. Prep the muslin squares on machine and then everything is easy handwork!

jpthequilter 05-07-2011 08:09 PM

gether

Originally Posted by Andrea
I don't paper piece so my thoughts go in a different direction. Have you ever pieced by hand? I hand pieced a whole quilt once and it wasn't difficult. I'm sure you could find a tutorial to show you how it's done. Another suggestion would be to teach yourself, or have someone show you, how to applique. Many, many quilters won't even try because they think it's too difficult, but it truly isn't. A VERY good book: The Easy Art of Applique published by That Patchwork Place and written by Mimi Dietrich and Roxi Eppler. It's a paper book (so not too expensive) and it's been around a long time, so you might be able to find a used one. Learning to applique will open a world of new creative outlets for you.

I recently hand sewed a complete 3D Bowtie quilt top together in a couple of afternoons. It is an easy block, because you sew five pieces of fabric together with only four quick seams! It is a bit tricky to get the hang of, and somebody will have to show you how the first time but you will be amazed how fast the quilts go together using 5 inch squares.
I agree about learning to applique! Start with plain squares and an easy pattern, (from a coloring book) like a bird outline, or a kitten or puppy or teddy bear shape - or even high heeled shoes -in different bright colors! It is just a ladder stitch around the folded under seam allowance edges. You can combine them with embroidery too!
Later you can sew the finished blocks together with your machine. JEANNIE

MarySews 05-08-2011 01:27 PM

Do you like to applique?
I made a quilt for a grandaughter, one block at a time, very simple shapes like coloring book shape with maybe a French knot for an eye. I carried them around in a ziplock sandwich bag and a pill bottle with a few pins and a little square with a needle in it.

Good luck and many prayers.