Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any info on this Singer featherweight? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-info-singer-featherweight-t97302.html)

xsquilter 02-06-2011 01:53 PM

I'm looking, only looking, hee hee! at a white Singer featherweight. I asked about a serial number & was told:
the first letter is P or F followed by A103268.
I tried searching, but couldn't come up with much though I will continue trying.
In the meantime, I thought I would ask here. There's so much knowledge on this board!
Thanks
Maureen

sewwhat85 02-06-2011 02:16 PM

i have one will have to look at serial #

tulip43 02-06-2011 02:56 PM

I would certainly love to have a White Featherweight.They are a dream to sew with.I have black ones,

costumegirl 02-06-2011 03:05 PM

If she is in good shape and reasonable, snap her up!! A great book with all kinds of info on Featherweights is by Nancy Johnson-Srebro. It has all kinds of info. From the serial# it could possibly have been made any time from 1969 - 1971. What voltage is the motor?

xsquilter 02-06-2011 07:31 PM

Thanks for the comments thus far. I was so attracted by the white colour that I couldn't stop looking at her. Last week the price was $200...yesterday it was down to $150.
So, I don't really know what "reasonable" is for this particular one. Oh,I didn't think to ask the voltage.
Maureen

brushandthimble 02-06-2011 07:34 PM

Oh I would love a white one!!

sueisallaboutquilts 02-06-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by xsquilter
Thanks for the comments thus far. I was so attracted by the white colour that I couldn't stop looking at her. Last week the price was $200...yesterday it was down to $150.
So, I don't really know what "reasonable" is for this particular one. Oh,I didn't think to ask the voltage.
Maureen

Maureen,that's a great price!! If you don't want it you can get it for me. My birthday is coming up LOL :D:D

smitty 02-06-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by xsquilter
I'm looking, only looking, hee hee! at a white Singer featherweight. I asked about a serial number & was told:
the first letter is P or F followed by A103268.
I tried searching, but couldn't come up with much though I will continue trying.
In the meantime, I thought I would ask here. There's so much knowledge on this board!
Thanks
Maureen

Remember, there are two kinds of Featherweights. the vintage ones, model 221, of which there is a white one. and then the newer machines, small ones that they have
labeled "Featherweight" but are nothing like the original ones. vast cost & quality difference !
the vintage, white, model 221 Singer Featherweight is hard-wired (you can not remove plug from side ), shorter extension bed, no decals,belt driven & several other different design features. I have several vintage 221's, & don't personally, consider the white ones the quality of the others. they were only made for a few years in the latter years of 221 production. Graham Forsdyke has one of the most informative websites. an honest dealer.

xsquilter 02-06-2011 07:50 PM

I knew I would great info from this board!
Smitty, thank you, I will peruse Graham's website. I did notice that this particular machine did not have a decal on the front. I figured it was gone, but maybe it never existed?!
Um, Susan Margaret, how much do you think postage would be?!!!! LOL! I'll start saving!
Maureen

sueisallaboutquilts 02-06-2011 08:18 PM

Ahhh, Smitty just gave you some very good advice!! I forgot about those "reproductions", which are not Featherweights at all!!
Let us know what happens! :D