Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-non-sewing-items-you-use-quilting-t127919.html)

Deborahlees 06-04-2011 10:50 AM

A HAMMER......to flatten those multi part seams....
you know like the center of a 6 point star.....a good wake of the hammer makes them so much easier to quilt....

Deborahlees 06-04-2011 10:51 AM

I use a short double pointed knitting needles as a silletto on the machine, pushes a wine cork on the opposite end....so I can always find it....

Deborahlees 06-04-2011 10:51 AM

Chopsticks to turn anything inside out.....

rookie quilt 06-04-2011 10:55 AM

painters tape, off-set screwdriver, pipe cleaners, Q-tips, soft make-up brush, extendable magnet from automotive store and shelf liner. (to keep foot pedal and sewing machine from walking all over the place.)

Joanne9of12 06-04-2011 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love to use a clothes drying rack when I'm working with a lot of fabric strips. It helps me keep them in order and easy to get what I need. It also helps to let me see what colors I have a lot of or which ones I'm running low on. Here's a picture of the one that I'm using right now. Ignore the mess behind the rack, please. :-)

Jennifer22206 06-04-2011 01:15 PM

Chopsticks, stamp tongs (they've got a small flat tip that turns ANYTHING inside out), baby hair clips - the small metal ones for holding binding

butterflies5518 06-04-2011 01:31 PM

plastic gum containers (wrigleys) for used needles and storing thimbles, BF made a hanging rack from black metal yard edging, screwed into a wood strip and it hangs sideways on the wall for strips

grammy17 06-04-2011 01:44 PM

I use an old pill bottle with a hole drilled in the lid to drop in old or broken needles and pins. And a cheap small pint bruse to dust my machine for lint. Baby wipe box to store scissors and rotary cutters up high from little fingers.

TonnieLoree 06-04-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Sandpaper. :-D I cut out a piece of cardboard and wrapped a piece of 200 grit around it and duck taped it down. Wonderful to sign siggie blocks with or to draw lines on blocks cornor to cornor. I have used a large T-square for cutting out my borders. Its 48" long and the T part hooks onto the edge of the table and good to go. Works great.

Curious. What is duck tape? Quack Quack. I think you meant duct tape. (The multi-purpose sticky stuff that will remove warts but does not mend broken hearts)

montanajan 06-04-2011 10:00 PM

Thought of a few more I use -
Chop stick for getting nice points
Hospital forceps to grab & turn narrow applique strip
Small hair scrunchies to cover bobbins so thread won't unwind - use scrunchie approx color of bobbin thread
Narrow dough roller to flatten seam or to 'finger-press'
Breath mint tins for pins, needles
Masking tape to pick up loose threads
Empty Crystal Light plastic tubes for small scissors, tweezers, extra filled bobbins, etc
Empty toilet paper cardboard roll to slide over folded electric cords
Flat hair clips on binding - avoids my being poked by pins
Empty container from roll of adhesive tape - wind measuring tape around it & snap shut
Clean, unused pizza boxes to stack 12 1/2" squares or 9 1/2" squares of block of the month projects
Freezer paper for paper-piecing
Adding machine roll paper - small applique copying, paper-piecing, etc
Gardening gloves instead of quilting gloves (less expensive & works for me)
Plastic zippered blanket bags for large WIPs

OK, probably more yet, but that's it for now :)
Thanks, I'm learning from all of you!