Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   any suggestions to fix this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-suggestions-fix-t69823.html)

shufer1 10-12-2010 04:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am making a table runner for a gift, and realized after sewing on the last boarder that the orange triangles (there are 3) really streatched out. I have washed this piece, startched, steamed, and tried everything to get it to shrink back into shape but to no avail. Any suggestions for a fix other than ripping out a whole lot of seaming? here is a pic

front of one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97099[/ATTACH]

back of anothern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97100[/ATTACH]

franie 10-12-2010 04:25 PM

I doubt it can be fixed. Rip it out and put a new triangle in. The outside edge of the triangle is on the bias and is causing this prob. I bet it is a stunning tablerunner too.

np3 10-12-2010 04:27 PM

It looks like the border will be too big when you replace the triangle. You will probably have to adjust that too. So sorry, but you really have to be careful with the bias on a triangle.

AliKat 10-12-2010 04:29 PM

It looks like you stretched the triangle on it's bias.

I agree. Take it apart, either starch or Best Press it, then remeasure and cut ... then sew.

It certainly looks like you put in a lot of thought and work ... so beautiful.
ali

kristen0112 10-12-2010 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by franie
I doubt it can be fixed. Rip it out and put a new triangle in. The outside edge of the triangle is on the bias and is causing this prob. I bet it is a stunning tablerunner too.

Sorry I think she's correct you're going to need to rip it out :-( bummer I know at least its only a table runner size and not a big quilt.

virtualbernie 10-12-2010 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by franie

I agree with Franie :( :cry: Don't you just hate it when that happens?

mom-6 10-12-2010 04:43 PM

I think you can probably get by with ripping out only one side of the triangle, recutting it and the border to the correct size and restitching only that one side. It may make that side of the triangle slightly off grain, but I don't think it will be so much so that anyone but you will notice.

amma 10-12-2010 06:27 PM

I am not sure I would reuse that triangle... You have stretched it out, once you wash it, (agitating and tumbling dry) it may revert back to it's original shape and it "could" pucker from shrinking back. JMHO

If this was a small triange? it wouldn't bother me to re trim it :wink:

Rachel 10-12-2010 06:41 PM

I don't know if this would work for sure, but I saw a technique once that you can saturate the fabric with water, then put it how you want it (kinda squash it together) then leave it to dry completely. Might be worth trying before you start tearing it apart.

stewyscrewy 10-12-2010 07:39 PM

frannie is right you will have to remove and redo. next time you have to do triangles remember to starch your fabric kinda on the heavy side before you make you cuts, it keeps the fabric form stretching as bad. once you finish the quilt then you can wash out the starch.