Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any suggestions on making a very warm quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-suggestions-making-very-warm-quilt-t83493.html)

jlbear 12-17-2010 12:54 PM

My son has been weight lifting after school and plans to go out for football this coming fall. I'm already thinking about sitting outside in the freezing temperatures watching him play!

I'd like to make a warm quilt that I can wrap around me while at his games, something simple and easy, but have it very warm. What would you suggest to use for batting? Is there a type of batting that is super warm, or would you suggest using a double layer of batting (I've never done that before). Or use fleece as the back?

Thank you for your help!
Jodi

Prism99 12-17-2010 12:57 PM

I think the problem with doubling batting is that it adds a lot of weight and makes the quilt stiffer (so that it doesn't hug your body as easily).

My recommendation is for a good quality wool batting such as Hobbs.

okiepastor 12-17-2010 12:58 PM

2 layers of fleece will do it--or back your quilt with fleece, if you want REALLY warm, use batting in between....

amma 12-17-2010 01:07 PM

I agree, two layers of fleece and cotton batting would be warm and wash up nicely too :D:D:D

Scissor Queen 12-17-2010 01:08 PM

If you want it really warm use old denim on one side.

Maride 12-17-2010 01:10 PM

My warmest is just regular cotton batting and a warm cotton blanket as backing, like the ones they use at the hospital. Yes, it is heavy, but it is very flexible. It has only a stitch in the ditch, since the more quilted the less flexible it is.

eaglebeak1960 12-17-2010 01:15 PM

Oh my gosh I made my son a Demin rag quilt he loves it!! says its warm and soft I used old jeans cut up. I am thinking of putting Fleece on the side where the "rag side" is opposite side. It washes well and will take the rough and tumble of sitting in bleachers.

stewyscrewy 12-17-2010 01:16 PM

Yes Insulbright would definately keep you warm it reflects the heat of hot pans ect back away from you or your table/counter ect. so why not use it for convecting your own body heat.

brenda21 12-17-2010 01:31 PM

My warmest one from my granny is flannel backed, cotton batting and wool patches on front....tied not quilted.

Ramona Byrd 12-17-2010 01:33 PM

This was just in on another letter to this site. Sounds like
a marvelous idea for myself too. I forgot who did this, she's a smart lady.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed in my dog supply catalog they are now offering sleeping mats that have a "thermo reflective material" in them to provide a warm sleeping place for old, arthritic dogs. I have an old arthritic dog so I bought 2 yds of insulbrite to try making bed covers or quilts for his sleeping comfort. Since I am also old and arthritic I decided to test it on my own bed first. I put it under my bottom sheet for a sleep test. It feels sooo good I will have to go back to Joanns for another 2 yds for Lad!