Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any tips for sewing a rag quilt together? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-tips-sewing-rag-quilt-together-t272654.html)

GarageDragon 11-25-2015 02:08 AM

Any tips for sewing a rag quilt together?

So, the other quilt I am in the middle of is a rag quilt with two layers of flannel, and one layer of dimple plush fabric. All layers were the same size. I've sewn a cross on each square, and sewn ten rows which are now ready to be joined. Obviously the sewing squares together is six layers of fabric at the seams, so far so good. But now I need to join the rows, and it's proving trickier than I thought! I have sewn two rows together (twelve layers at the corner meeting of seams) which I managed with one of those tools for going over bulky seams, but am now having to rip it out because the plush fabric has shifted about so there's insufficient caught in the seam between the two rows! Can I use the Elmer's school glueI have heard so much about on the plush fabric to keep it in place?? And is there an easy method for going over the bulkiest part of the seams?? Or am I just doing it wrong??

Thanks!!

ruby2shoes 11-25-2015 02:35 AM

Hmmmm, don't know that I can be much help. With the rag quilts I've made I always cut the middle layer square smaller than the top and bottom pieces. I knew it would be held in place by the cross I sewed on each square so there was no need for it to be included in the seams.

ckcowl 11-25-2015 03:57 AM

Press your seams open, nice & flat. If that doesn't make it easier you can hold the ( raggy edge overlaps) up and stitch underneath them right up to the seam, not catching the bulky part. It does mean a stop,start at each block. You stitch to the seam, under the bulk, fix stitch, stop, cut move to other side, start as close as possible to the stitch line under the bulk again, keep going across the row. I had to do one that way for a Denim, corduroy, batting, raggy. It was slower ( but not really because I didn't have to fight with those bulky overlaps.)

romanojg 11-25-2015 05:42 AM

You can use glue or blue tape to keep the ends down. I use the tape because I use the accuquilt and the tabs are already cut. You can also use a walking foot to help keep the fabric going right. If you presser foot has a little small know (screw head) on the side, could be black, when you get right before the thick part push on the black knob and it'll help the presser foot go up over the fabric. Hope this helps

I make mine 3 layers but only two layers get sewn together, the middle layer is held in place by the X or embroidery design and then I also stitch around the square before I sew them all together.

ManiacQuilter2 11-25-2015 06:26 AM

I think the problem is with the dimple thickness. It probably won't fray like flannel does.

pocoellie 11-25-2015 06:42 AM

I agree with ManiacQuilter. Whenever I've made a rag quilt I also cut the middle about an inch smaller than the top and bottom squares.

dunster 11-25-2015 07:15 AM

I make my rag quilts with 3 layers of flannel, or sometimes 2 flannel and one corduroy, and I don't sew an X because it's unnecessary to hold the layers together when all 3 are sewn at the seams. I don't have a problem sewing the rows together. I think you're having more trouble because the dimple plush fabric is slippery and thicker than the flannel. I would try pinning the fabrics together pretty closely so they don't have a chance to shift while you're sewing. The advantage of this over glue would be that it will hold all 3 layers together. You would have to insert glue in between 1st and 2nd layer, and also in between 2nd and 3rd layer to do this. I think pinning would be faster and would leave no residue.

Onebyone 11-25-2015 08:40 AM

I cut the middle layer smaller and only rag the top and back pieces. I use the Go to cut the 8" rag squares and the 6" square die to cut the middle layer. There is very little bulk in the seams this way.

Tothill 11-25-2015 09:08 AM

I have made rag quilts with denim and those corner seams are really bulky.

What finally worked for me; sew up to but not through the corners. Take back stitch, then cut the threads and start on the other side of the corner. By the time you snip a wash the quilt, you will not know that you did not sew through the corner.

As far as the plush shifting, glue, or baste the blocks just inside of where you will snip, before you sew the rows together.

Tiggersmom 11-25-2015 09:09 AM

Are you using a walking foot?

I've only made one rag quilt with denium and flannel.