Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   anybody with fabric application to roller shade experience??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anybody-fabric-application-roller-shade-experience-t60571.html)

borntoquilt 08-21-2010 07:23 AM

My DD and I are re-doing my DGD (8yrs old) in retro 30's fabric. A little research came up with either venetian blinds (have and don't like) or roller shades from that era. Want to take 1 or 2 fabrics from the quilt I am making to glue to the roller shade. Any of you creative minds out there have any idea what glue to use or other way to attach the fabric? Thanks in advance!

kathy 08-21-2010 07:26 AM

a good spray adhesive, fabric safe, (Hancock's Fabrics ) or the clear shelf paper, apply to the back of the fabric then attach to the roller. I did that years ago, worked pretty well

momymom 08-21-2010 07:29 AM

Jo Ann's had a cut to fit roller shade kit with the adhisive included, at a reasonable price, I made 2 and they turned out well.

MamaBear61 08-21-2010 07:30 AM

I have used the decopage (sp??) stuff on lamp shades, but not sure if it would work on roller blind since it tends to go fairly stiff when dry.

mom-6 08-21-2010 07:59 AM

Don't remember exactly how I did it, but years ago I had a shade that got torn up by the kiddos and replaced the vinyl with fabric. As long as the inside mechanism still works, you don't have to have the vinyl part. If you make it long enough you are going to hide the area where it is attached anyway, so you could even use duct tape!

Bobbin along 08-21-2010 09:04 AM

Has anyone tried to use a roller shade with a layer of flannel or ? on it to use as a design wall? You can just roll it up with your block on it. I saw something like this in a Qmag ad, and thought I could make one--maybe!

grann of 6 08-21-2010 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
My DD and I are re-doing my DGD (8yrs old) in retro 30's fabric. A little research came up with either venetian blinds (have and don't like) or roller shades from that era. Want to take 1 or 2 fabrics from the quilt I am making to glue to the roller shade. Any of you creative minds out there have any idea what glue to use or other way to attach the fabric? Thanks in advance!

You can (or used to) buy roller shade kits. It is fusible on one side. Several years ago my daughter & I made them for her bathroom. You need a large flat surface to properly fuse the fabric down, and it takes a lot of time. In fact I think I have 2 kits here that I never used. I was going to use them in the room that at that time was my sewing room. I now have it downstairs and don't need shades. I think I got my kits at Joanns.

grann of 6 08-21-2010 09:52 AM

I will add that you do have to watch the weight of the fabric or the spring won't roll it up. You can adjust them to a certain extent, but found that if the fabric was to heavy the spring would go "Boing" and then you have to rewind it.

Bobbin along 08-21-2010 09:57 AM

Great info, grann! thanks so much! I think I'll give it a try!

skydiver70 08-21-2010 10:10 AM

Haven't tried fabric, but one time I took an old shade, removed the vinyl and bought a piece of the flannel backed tablecloth material with apple designs and glued it on the roller and it made a perfect shade.